[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Ranking Roman Emperors

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 3

When people post "top 5 emperors" lists you always get the same few names: Augustus, Aurelius, Diocletian, Justinian, etc. However, the one thing in common with all of these people is that they had a terrible succession plan that fell apart after they died.

If guys like Augustus and Aurelius can still be considering two of the greatest emperors ever despite the fact that their succession plans were bad and everything got chaotic after they died. So, do you guys believe that an emperor's ability to transition his power to another should be taken into consideration when considering the "greatest" emperors?

Because if that's true, then guys like Trajan deserve the top spot for doing great things during his life AND getting Hadrian in there after him, who was also a great emperor.
>>
I'm going to go out and say the Elagabalus does not deserve to be on the list of top 5 worst Emperors. The guy was just emotionally depraved and people like Constantine did political actions that had much more lasting effects that were bad for the empire as a whole.
>>
>>2657187
>If guys like Augustus and Aurelius can still be considering two of the greatest emperors ever despite the fact that their succession plans were bad
Augustus had good succession plans but all his successors kept fucking dying.
>>
File: Louis-XIV-Victorious.jpg (357KB, 550x746px) Image search: [Google]
Louis-XIV-Victorious.jpg
357KB, 550x746px
>>2657187
the roman succession of emperors is really sad to read

the best monarchy in this regard is probably Denmark, a nice neat line of kings stretching back to mythic times

other european monarchies that had sallic law are up there too, especially France before they got revolution'd

say what you will about the germanic barbarians, but when it came to honor and respect and succession laws they had no rival, romans were pretty disappointing in this regard
>>
>>2657351
probably shouldn't have married that psycho bitch then :)
>>
Hadrian himself also qualifies for getting two generations of good emperors in the bag.
>>
>>2657351
They should've followed the Arsacid and Sassanid examples, there's a reason why those two families combined last nearly a 1000 years.
>>
File: ;_;.jpg (89KB, 677x782px) Image search: [Google]
;_;.jpg
89KB, 677x782px
>>2657374
seriously the storyline is so depressing

>finally, a good emperor!
>oh fuck he died
>oh shit civil wars again
>finally, another good emperor!
>oh fuck he died
>oh shit civil wars again
>oh shit foreign invaders
>better fight a civil war instead

literally reeee'ing as I read
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.