[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

The Iliad

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3

File: Iliad.jpg (44KB, 439x550px) Image search: [Google]
Iliad.jpg
44KB, 439x550px
New adaptation of the Iliad onto TV in the form of a miniseries, produced by the BBC, Netflix...

>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troy:_Fall_of_a_City

Except that it isn't.

>Troy: Fall of a City is an upcoming miniseries based on the Trojan War and the love affair between Paris and Helen

Can we just have one fucking adaptation of the actual Iliad? I would bet money that even on this board, most people are completely unaware that Homer did not write about the fall of Troy, Helen living in Sparta, Achilles's death, etc.

The whole point of the poem is the messages that Homer gives to the reader: the lack of glory in war, and the importance of being able to feel empathy, to name a few.

>Achilles is played by an African

Why virtue signal? Why not just have the whole cast be Mediterranean in appearance? There is a lost epic about Memnon of Aethiopia fighting with his army in the Trojan war, and even Homer makes reference to Abyssinians fighting in it.

Can't we just have one faithful adaptation of the Iliad?

Rant over
>>
File: ...1482911988013.jpg (57KB, 522x325px) Image search: [Google]
...1482911988013.jpg
57KB, 522x325px
>Have the most irredeemable violent asshole in the whole book played by a Black person

Who wants to bet they'll relegate the gods too.
>>
>>2657139
>lack of glory in war

Which if why we glorify Achilles to this day? He chose glory over a boring farm life.
>>
>>2657173
Yeah, and he eventually dies.

When Odysseus meets Achilles in Hades, Odysseus asks Achilles what it feels like to be the most glorious among the dead, Achilles says he would rather be the lowest servant than first among the dead.

Achilles made the wrong choice.
>>
>>2657163
>Have the most irredeemable violent asshole in the whole book played by a Black person

Zeus?
>>
>>2657198
The war was FATED to happen, and you cannot fight Fate.
>>
>>2657194
And he was also happy to hear his son gaining his own reputation as a glorious warrior.

Achilles might have preferred a comfortable life but he accepted the fate of glory.
>>
>>2657202
Zeus is the one controlling fate
>>
>>2657173
>Making it this obvious that you have not read the Iliad

see

Achilles is portrayed by Homer as being pathetic, babyish, cruel, etc. Hector is almost his antithesis. When Achilles kills Hector, he ignores every code of honour imaginable and mutilates the latter's body. He inserts hooks through the Achilles tendon (deliberately ironic from Homer), attaching the hooks to his chariot, and drags Hector around the city walls many times.

Homer was making a serious point through showing the warriors as being obsessed with gaining Kleos and Aristeia through fighting, despite how horrible war is.

Everytime someone dies, Homer writes how "darkness engulfed their eyes", and whatever level of prestige a certain warrior was, they also "fall down into the dust" after suffering a gory death.
>>
>>2657202
Actually, the text of the Iliad implies that you can, albeit with extreme diffuclty. When Patrokles takes command of the Myrmadons and leads them into battle, the Gods hasten to the defense of the city, because they are needed to preserve fate, that the city isn't supposed to fall yet; with the implication that if the Gods weren't holding things together with sticky tape, it would have and fate be damned.
>>
File: fedoracat.gif (2MB, 335x258px) Image search: [Google]
fedoracat.gif
2MB, 335x258px
>>2657198
>>
>>2657222
Not him, but in regards to

>Achilles is portrayed by Homer as being pathetic, babyish, cruel, etc. Hector is almost his antithesis.
I would raise 2 points.

A) Achilles does grow out of it by the very end, or at least seems to. His conversation with Priam indicates that he's matured, a lot, when he realized that all the defacing of Hektor and whatnot isn't actually making him happy.
B) I'm not sure about the antithesis thing. I think it's very, very important to Homer and would have been to a contemporary audience that after Patrokles takes Achilles's armor and leads the Myrmadons to his death, that Hektor takes the armor and wears it. Patrokles goes from being the avatar of Achilles and then Hektor 'steals' the identity, and Achilles is coming to reclaim it, which isn't exactly an antithesis.
>>
>>2657222
Thanks for your own interpretation but I don't think it really fits in with what the ancient greeks thought.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.