[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Aphrodite is underrated.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 5

File: aphrodite.jpg (92KB, 745x559px) Image search: [Google]
aphrodite.jpg
92KB, 745x559px
Or rather, Aphrodite Urania is (it is unclear if its the same goddess as the other Aphrodite).

Seriously, she seems like quite the majestic lady in this incarnation. Almost queen of the heavens kinda, considering she is older than Zeus.

The again, Oceanus is also a titan and he seems like he would be super important if it wasn't for the Greeks Mediterranean world view (making Poseidon more important because Greeks weren't too known for sailing in the Atlantic or other parts of the encircling sea).

Greek/Roman mythology thread, bitches!
>>
She's not so much queen of the heavens as she is the embodiment of Uranus' insatiable lust. That isn't very majestic desu.

Aphrodite Urania is the same Aphrodite as the one born of Zeus and Hera, she is just given a different (probably earlier) genealogy.
>>
>literally a testicle
was aphrodite the original trap?
>>
>>2654752
>(making Poseidon more important because Greeks weren't too known for sailing in the Atlantic or other parts of the encircling sea).
Wtf dude? They started sending colonists all across the mediterranean sea from 800BC onwards.

Also poseidon was a huge fucking deal in athens, pretty much second to athena only. remember the story of how they both competed for patronage of the city and athena won because she gave them the olive tree, while he gave them a fountain?
>>
>>2654788

Oceania was the God of the oceans while Poseidon was God of the Mediterranean.
>>
>>2654788
The Greeks' relationship with the sea is actually very weird. The sea was considered incredibly dangerous and something to be more feared than respected. Greek society was always land orientated despite its geography. The sea was the preserve of pirates, despicable merchant traders and magical creatures. The first thing people assume when they meet Odysseus in Homer is that he is a raider of some sort.

>>2654752
Some Greek explorers did explore the Atlantic. Pytheas went up as far as Iceland.
>>
>>2656035
lelno Oceanos was a titan, not a god. They're more like living embodiments of primordial forces than gods who perform specific functions and play genuinely active roles in the greek mythos. Oceanos was pretty much only there to serve a role as part of the genealogy of the olympians, he's hardly mentioned in hesiod's theogony. You are correct in the sense that's he is the primordial essence of the ocean (and not oceans - see picrelated for the greek understanding of what the ocean meant). His "realm" was literally on the periphery of greek existence and played no active role. And after the titan nomachy, he was part of those cast in tartarus so whatever influence he had was even more diminished.

Poseidon on the other way was literally the god of the seas, adriatic, aegean, black sea, even the red sea. But yes, I guess you'd be somewhat correct in saying the mediterranean since it was the centre of the world from the archaic period greek point of view. But there is actually nothing that actually states that's where his influence ends. He was responaible for the sea fauna, the waves, the currents, storms and even earthquakes. So from the point of view of a mostly sea-faring civilisation, poseidon was far more relevant that oceanos who played a very minor aetological role to explain away the then known/assumed geographical layout of the world. It's possible there was more said about oceanos but most of the titan nomachy is lost so we don't actually know. He's simply there to explain away the initial creation of seas and rivers after gaia & uranos banged.
>>
>>2656137
forgot pic like a tard
>>
>>2656046
>Greek society was always land orientated despite its geography. The sea was the preserve of pirates, despicable merchant traders and magical creatures.
That was the greek pov around and before hesiod's time, so the 1100-750BC post bronze age collapse period, to give it a wide window. We know the greek "ancestors"/precedessors the minoans were literally a thalassocracy, trading with egypt, the near east and of course the myceneans (whom later invaded crete around 1450BC). So while seafaring might have been spooky, they had been doing it for a while. If there was a sense of attachment to land, it probably developed in the mid-late archaic period when the proto-poleis were struggling so much with scarcity control thqt sending out colonial expeditions basically acted as a form of population control. Plus if successful colonies happened to be established by the oikists, then the more trade and resources for those back home. Probably a lot of that anxiety about having to find new homes found its way into homeric poetry before it was finally put to paper around 725BC and that train of thought was forever congealed so to speak.
>>
>>2656137
>lelno Oceanos was a titan, not a god.

Pretty sure the Titans were just a group of gods, rather than 'not-gods'.

>>2656137
>They're more like living embodiments of primordial forces than gods

Maybe, but I think that description fits the primordial gods more than the Titans or Olympians.
>>
>>2658178
> a group of gods, rather than 'not-gods'
I guess you're right and I'm maybe trying a bit too hard to make the split between titans and gods more severe than it is. It's true they were essentially both dieties, although performing very different roles and split in distinct group. Until we find a full copy of the titanomachy (if we ever do) and their mythos gets shed more light on, we'll have to settle for splitting them between titans and olympians. It just seems extremely bizarre to me why the greeks made a conscientious effort to separate both groups so neatly, but I'm the one extrapolating and speculating more from the material available suggests so I'll concede.

>that description fits the primordial gods
Sure, the further you go back in the genealogy, the more encompassing the divinities get. Nyx, Chaos, Uranos, Gaia and Erebos are obviously even more abstract and "primordial" than the titans, but by the same argument the titans were far more primordial then the olympians. You're talking pure concepts of "water", "time", "fire", "light", "forethought", etc.
It probably seems that way because there just isn't the same amount of literature about the titans, so their functions seem even more abstract and encompassing than those held by the olympians. The more abstract you are, the more primordial you become.

To be fair most of this probably has a lot to do with the Enuma Elis and Epic of kumarbi, which parallels the structure of hesiod's theogony.
http://www.aakkl.helsinki.fi/melammu/database/gen_html/a0001230.php

Now I don't think the greek stole their entire mythos from the near-east, but I do think it's quite possible that the near-eastern influence is what helped them categorize and synergise their divinities into a concrete creation myth, with a clear line of succession and the generational conflicts that ensue. If you follow the Enuma Elis, it's pretty clear Gaia and Uranos are Tiamat & apsu; while Zeus is basically Marduk 2.0.
>>
File: Oceanus_at_Trevi.jpg (2MB, 2736x3648px) Image search: [Google]
Oceanus_at_Trevi.jpg
2MB, 2736x3648px
Chez Lindsey has some pretty interesting videos about a few Greek Gods and how the media has depicted them over the years.

Hades
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmcV90cya1Y

Aphrodite
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTcWJYUFsxg
>>
>ywn have aphrodite make your waifu real

Pygmalion had it good lads.
>>
So, what gods do you think came first to Greek thought? The Primordials, the Titans, or the Olympians?
>>
>>2659259
The ones they copied from their neighbors
>>
>>2659263

Who?
>>
>>2658905
sh-she looks th-thicc.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.