[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Byzantine Empire

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

File: byzantine.jpg (27KB, 500x334px) Image search: [Google]
byzantine.jpg
27KB, 500x334px
Was it pretty much a 1000 year plus LARPING session
>>
No. At least the Greeks could claim to be the continuation of the same Roman State, despite being culturally different.

You want to see larping? Look at the Russian, Turkish or
>H
>R
>Es
Claims of Roman legacy.
>>
>>2653628
The Byzantines were Greeks?

since when?
>>
What is the world record?
>>
>>2653610
Roman Empire =/ Western or Eastern Roman Empire
>>
>>2653610
Byzantine line of succession continued from Constantine and his line continued from the Roman empire.

sure Rome wasn't suppose to be a monarchy in the first place but they are at least more legit than >>>
>>
>>2653644
this, Byzantium had a direct lineage to Rome.
>>
>eastern
>roman
>empire
Neither eastern nor Roman nor an empire (after the AD 630s)
>>
>>2653628
>E
>R
>E
>>
>>2653610
Does it matter if you live up to the name?
>>
>>2653634
not sure if b8 or sarcasm
>>
>>2653644
this, tetrarchy of 293
butthurt frankaboos can literally do nothing about this
>>
I don't understand why people jump through hoops to separate 'Byzantium' from the Roman Empire. Well before the fall of the West the East had become the political and economic core of the Empire. There's no way to neatly disentangle the two into discrete entities. There is a succession and evolution of Imperial institutions and culture in the East that can't be neatly severed. Even the name "Byzantine Empire", which hearks back to the town radically reformed into Constantinople, was a retrospectively applied historiographical term coined by a writer from the HRE after the fall of Constantinople. Is it just that many posters are desperate to associate Rome only with tv and videogame depictions of "epic" segmentata clad legionaries?
>>
>>2653644
>sure Rome wasn't suppose to be a monarchy in the first place but they are at least more legit than >>>

Though see Kaldellis's recent The Byzantine Republic: People and Power in New Rome on that too.

>>2654801
Probably part of what you said (Byzantium not being as "cool and powerful" as pre-medieval Rome) and the traditional Western European connection to Rome that didn't want to legitimize Byzantium as the only Roman state. Even the other medieval Eastern/Balkan states sometimes didn't consider Byzantium *the* Roman state. The only ones who readily accepted the claims were the Muslims who didn't have as much of a stake in it and they took frequently berated the empire for not being as successful about some things as in its pagan past.

Either way, I don't get the debate over this. We can understand the circumstances and the disagreements without having to drop the term or having this discussion about it over and over.
>>
>>2653634
Since the reign of Heraclius
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.