[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is it possible to be a philosopher and religious?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 9

File: 1491700973866.jpg (60KB, 1114x579px) Image search: [Google]
1491700973866.jpg
60KB, 1114x579px
Is it possible to be a philosopher and religious?
>>
File: 250px-Paul_de_tarse_rembrandt.jpg (22KB, 250x299px) Image search: [Google]
250px-Paul_de_tarse_rembrandt.jpg
22KB, 250x299px
duh
>>
>>2649811
>being a philosopher
>believing in bearded sky-daddy

don't think so
>>
>>2649811
Most philosophers in history have followed some form of religion.
>>
>>2649824
>live in a time when you'll get burnt at the stake for denouncing god
>all valid philosophy leads to the conclusion that god isn't real
>grin and bear it hoping those who are smart enough will glean it from your work
>hundreds of years later some obese american mongrel uses you as an example of a devout member of some religious sect

kys
>>
>>2649901
I don't think Plato or Aristotle faced being "burnt at the stake". they could have expressed that idea so long as they went through the motions of sacrifice and ceremony
>>
>>2649919
>dude hemlock lmao
>>
>>2649919
socrates
>>
>>2649901
>>all valid philosophy leads to the conclusion that god isn't real
Aquinas did a pretty good job arguing for the existence of some kind of prime mover.
From there, it's just a leap of faith to get to whatever religion you want to.
>>
>>2649948
>dude just believe lmao
>>
>>2650814
>I've never read Aquinas
We can tell
>>
Yes but philosophy must come first, ie. you must be able to freely question your religious beliefs
>>
>>2649817
Exactly, I'm just an atheist teenager too who is sceptical of such phony frauds like the bearded sky daddy. It's good to know that the Kingdom of Reason lives on through enlightened people like us.
>>
Socrates was extremely religious. Hr just didn't practice the state religion. Same is true for a lot of philosophers until you get to the secular humanist era.
>>
If believing in Spinoza's god is religious, oh yeah.
>"You are either a Spinozist or not a philosopher at all."
>-Hegel
>>
>>2649811
Virtually impossible not to be both.
>>
>>2651704
why?
>>
File: 1492054266082.jpg (69KB, 500x493px) Image search: [Google]
1492054266082.jpg
69KB, 500x493px
My aunt believes philosophy is inherently anti Christian
She says Christianity is not a religion because it is truth.
My mom is skitzo and she says she has demons... She is probably the exception rather than the rule.
I want to be a psychiatrist because of my mom,but she won't like that.
So now i have to do it.
I hate atheists more than most Christians. She is a Pentecostal.
>>
I used to be atheist,but after browsing 4chan for years.
I found that atheists are the worst type of people,and i do not want to be associated with them.i beleive there is a cultural hive mind that connects and drives us apart. Like a Holy spirit.
>>
>>2654723
Anon, get your head checked. You might have some congenital conditions.
I am not dissing you.
>>
>>2654740
Yeh
I have always been afraid i might have it and i would never be able to get a job becauseof it.
>>
all of you need to go back where >>/r/eddit/ you came from
>>
Yes. Not a very intelligent one though.
>>
>>2649811
it's impossible to be genuinely religious without being a philosopher.
>>
>>2649811
>Is it possible to be a philosopher and retarded?

Sure why not
>>
>>2649811
Yes, it's certainly possible to be a bad philosopher.
>>
>>2649811
Is it possible for the OP to not be a faggot?
>>
>>2655650
"i'm a christian"
this is lipservice
"i actually read the bible and went to seminary to become a priest and understand the historical context of the ancient world and documentary hypothesis"
this is what it means to be really devoted

replace Christian for any mainstream faith and you have the assholes who jabber on about shit they don't understand calling themselves 'christians, muslims, jews, buddhist, or hindi' and those who show actual understanding and devotion to their faith. The assholes who pay lip service but refuse even to give up bacon or beer should shut the fuck up.
>>
>>2655672
>>2655669
>>2649817

If &Humanities was axed this moment the number of redditors on this board would stall

Prove me wrong
>>
>>2649901
>Only philosophy that agrees with me is valid

kys
>>
>>2649901
>all valid philosophy leads to the conclusion that god isn't real
lol what
>>
>>2655971
He's right though
>>
>>2655892
>>2655971
(thou)
>>
>>2655971
Reminder that this question has existed for over 2000 years and even though almost every human in history is religious, no one has come up with a coherent answer.
>>
>>2656358
This pic
>>
File: cool guy.jpg (21KB, 402x350px) Image search: [Google]
cool guy.jpg
21KB, 402x350px
>>2649811
It is possible, but you would have an incomplete and erroneous opinion if you apply your beliefs.
>>
>>2656359
Why Christians (or jews or muslims) don't get angry at this more often? I'll save it for the future.
>>
File: CjmS0DsVEAAJ6cF.jpg (24KB, 600x352px) Image search: [Google]
CjmS0DsVEAAJ6cF.jpg
24KB, 600x352px
"Whenever I see the rich and powerful doing strange rituals in hidden places like Bohemian Grove I weep for the enlightenment of intelligences".

-Wedelweiiss
>>
File: Thomas.jpg (188KB, 727x800px) Image search: [Google]
Thomas.jpg
188KB, 727x800px
>>2649811
Yes
>>
>>2649817
if you think it is that simple then you have absolutely no appreciation for what philosophy is
>>
>>2656900
t. atheist btw
>>
>>2656587
Not at all. He was executed because the people of Athens thought he was trying to introuce new gods because they didn't understand his concept of consciousness.
>>
>>2654723
Welcome to Protestantism
>>
>>2649811
Why couldn't you? I've been trawling through the copious amounts of retardation posted to the board for some months now but this has to be the shittiest bait or the most retarded of the retarded questions ever proposed to this board.

You sir don't understand what Christianity is fundamentally if you need to ask these kind of questions.
>>
>>2649811
Statistically, it's practically the default.
>>
File: Immanuel_Kant_(painted_portrait).jpg (151KB, 964x1388px) Image search: [Google]
Immanuel_Kant_(painted_portrait).jpg
151KB, 964x1388px
>>2649811
You've clearly never, EVER studied philosophy

t. Philosophy graduate
Thread posts: 46
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.