[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

In ancient times how hard was it to just enter a city? Could

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

File: Porta-Asinaria[1].jpg (129KB, 800x606px) Image search: [Google]
Porta-Asinaria[1].jpg
129KB, 800x606px
In ancient times how hard was it to just enter a city? Could anyone do it as long as you spoke the language or was going in and out a privilege afforded a few? Were Republics like Rome any different?

I would imagine Rome itself was pretty hard to get into.

Picture related, it's a Roman wall of the Imperial period.
>>
I think it depends on how centralized the polity was and how common warfare was.

Like, getting into Rome during the height of the empire was probably easier than getting into Athens during a conflict.
>>
>>2649447
not op but curiosity bump
>>
You most likely needed to state a reason of your arrival and how long you would stay in a city. I don't think they had some special restrictions, especially not in a gigantic world capital like Rome.
>>
>>2649457
getting into ur mom is probably easier than getting into rome during the height of the empire
>>
>>2649466
nicely done
>>
>>2649447
It was like trying to get a camel through the eye of a needle.
>>
>>2649463
>gigantic world capital like Rome
>decide to google how big it was
>Rome: 496 mi^2
>New York: 304.6 mi^2
fug
>>
File: 1489220007086.jpg (22KB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
1489220007086.jpg
22KB, 200x200px
>>2649484
u were looking at modern rome dipshit
>>
>>2649484
Keep in Mind We've perfected the art of building things higher than 10 stories and not at all being impressed by it.
>>
>>2649484
Ancient Rome was only 5.3 square miles
That is, if we include all and only the area within the Aurelian Walls.
>>
>>2649447
Lets say I wanted to research this, anyone know something I should read?
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.