[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Does hiding under a desk really protect you from a nuclear detonation?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2

File: IMG_1389.jpg (108KB, 570x458px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1389.jpg
108KB, 570x458px
Does hiding under a desk really protect you from a nuclear detonation?
>>
>>2643967
yes
>>
>>2643967
no
>>
>>2643967
maybe
>>
It keeps you from looking at the flash, which can blind/burn you, and it keeps you from getting hit by falling objects.

Better than nothing.
>>
I don't know
>>
>>2643967
It could possibly protect you from things falling onto you. That is about it.

Its better than nothing when you got a desk.
>>
>>2643967
can you repeat the question?
>>
>>2643968
fpbp
/thread
>>
>>2643980
YOU'RE NOT THE BOSS OF ME NOW
>>
I heard they made them do that for the convenience of casualty identification. Probably an urban legend.

I remember we used to bomb drills in elementary school in mids 90s nyc but they would just stand in the hallway and they were called "indoor fire drills". kek
>>
>>2643976
>>2643978
A desk may save you from debris but it won't save you from the hundreds of degrees of thermal radiation. It all depends on several factors including the yield of the bomb, its composition, it's design, etc. A 30 kt gun type fission weapon will have different effects than a 100 kt thermonuclear mostly fusion or boosted fission weapon with a lead tamper.
>>
>>2644024
But windows will be shattered at distances far away from any thermal radiation. Obviously hiding under a desk won't do shit if you're in the epicentre, but it'll save you from being shredded by glass.
>>
no.

it was only meant to serve as method of keeping kids from worrying.
>>
>>2643967
No dude they just said that shit to make civilians feel safe. Ever heard of duck and cover?
>>
>>2643967
Yes, second only to a fridge.
>>
>>2643967
If you're really far away and you're getting hit by debris then yeah. if it's a non nuclear weapon then yeah. If it's a small nuclear weapon and you're a decent distance away then yeah. If you're trying to just survive and there's nothing to do but hope and pray for chance, then why the fuck wouldn't you try.
>>
>>2643967
Not if you're within the fireball.

Beyond that it COULD potentially save your life, if you were fast enough.

There's the story of that one man who survived both the Hiroshima and Nagasaki bombings, and managed to save a bunch of his office mates' lives by telling them to all put the stairwell at the corner of the building between them and the blast.
>>
>>2644267
>Not if you're within the fireball.
Really? I didn't know that. Thanks for pointing it out.
>>
File: NUKEMAP-Cuban-Missile-Crisis-DC.jpg (343KB, 1225x702px) Image search: [Google]
NUKEMAP-Cuban-Missile-Crisis-DC.jpg
343KB, 1225x702px
>>2643967
People have a misunderstanding about the strength and types of detonations. For example the bomb dropped on Hiroshima was a deliberate air burst, detonating at about 2,000 ft of altitude to maximize blast effects and minimize residual radiation and fallout. For people outside the relatively small radiation radius and not exposed to thermal radiation, the biggest threat was blast pressure collapsing buildings.

https://nuclearsecrecy.com/nukemap/?&kt=15&lat=40.72422&lng=-73.9961&hob_opt=2&hob_psi=5&hob_ft=1968&zm=14
>>
Was anyone else here forced too watch that video with the fucking turtles in high school history? You know the one I'm talking about.

> Duck, and cover!
>>
>>2643967
Yes. Little known fact is that the desk acts a a perfect shield against nuclear blasts, and back in the day they were finished with lead paint, which would immunize you from any radiation effects. One of the reasons the bombs on Japan were so successful in producing mass casualties is because japs never used desks, they just sat on mats or some bullshit, why do you think no western nation has been hit with a nuke since? We have desks everywhere: schools, offices, homes. The Russians never bombed us because our strong protestant work ethic meant the entine country was filled with anti nuke shielding desks, a nuke eould produce next to no casualties. This is the true reasonthe standing desk trend is so dangerous. Fucking ergonomic hipsters don't realize that they are a serious national security threat.
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.