[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How was the life of a peasant in iron age?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

How was the life of a peasant in iron age?
>>
comfy
>>
>till the fields all day
>diet is shit and boring
>can't hunt and forage like ancestors
>not free and equal like ancestors
>weak manlet with shit life expectancy compared to ancestors
>have masters who steal and accumulate my toil
>masters use wealth gained from my exploitation to further their wealth by sending me to war

Ah the good old days
>>
>>2642805
Probably pretty awful. You spent your days doing backbreaking field work or you worked a trade in a city, which would have been absolutely filthy. Any injury or illness you got, if it didn't kill you, would plague you for the rest of your life. Your nutrition was poor as well.

It's very easy to idealize 'simple' or 'rustic' living like that when you can return to your air-conditioned home and order take-out if you get hungry but can't cook, call the police if you feel like your life is in danger, or call an ambulance if you're injured or ill.

Back in the day, it might not have been too bad, but from a modern perspective I'm sure it would be very, very awful.
>>
>>2642805

A PEASANT WHERE?

IBERIA?

GREECE?

MESOPOTAMIA???

IRON AGE WHEN?

900 BC? 300 BC?
>>
>>2643068
Exactly what i though. Let say proto germanic people, norway, sweden, iceland maybe?

And what if this "peasant" is not part of any kingdom or doesn't have to pay taxes n shit.
>>
>>2643074
Read "The Age of the Vikings" by Anders Winroth, check out hurstwic.org's history tab, read some scandinavian sagas.

You won't get a meaningful, comprehensive answer to cover the topic you're looking for from anyone on this board. You're better off using worthwhile sources to form your own opinions.
>>
>>2643068
You're asking High School-level questions while the majority of this board understands things at a middle school-level.
>>
>>2643074
https://pastebin.com/kL8YuzXr

Assuming you're interested in Viking-Age scandinavia (8th-11th century) and not something earlier.
>>
>>2643094
>The Age of the Vikings
i actually have that book but i haven't read it yet...
>>
>>2643109
Read it. There's a great section on just what you're asking about: life of the common man in the region at the time. Overall, I'd say the book provides a really good primer for those interested in the viking age
>>
>>2643113
>>2643109
Chapter 7 specifically, "At Home and On the Farm".

Not to mention the whole book is a real easy read. I like what Winroth did with starting off each chapter and its associated topic with a little vignette.
>>
>>2642870
>Ah the good old days

Which wasn't the case with Iron Age European farmers, those were in fact the conditions for peasants in the "advanced" Mediterranean and MidEast cultures and the post-Roman feudal period.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.