[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Kingdoms claiming others' thrones

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 4

Recently I've been interested in the politics of Europe with regards to royalty and different kingdoms taking others' thrones. The War of Spanish Succession and such interest me. I'm not knowledgeable about this subject. Can we get a thread going about this subject?
>>
You'll have an amazing time when you hear about The Hundred Years war
>>
File: 1468639669446.png (119KB, 512x512px) Image search: [Google]
1468639669446.png
119KB, 512x512px
>convincing a bunch of soldiers to fight and die, so that one rich guy can be in charge instead of another rich guy

how did the nobles at the time convince people to do this?
>>
File: wateermark.jpg (18KB, 480x429px) Image search: [Google]
wateermark.jpg
18KB, 480x429px
>>2641453
>>
>>2642721
I pay/feed you, which allows you to survive.
So....go kill those guys.

Works surprisingly well.
>>
>>2642721
how many layers of irony are you on?
>>
>>2642721
A lot of the times even lower ranking nobles (all the way down to knights) could be rewarded with lands, titles, incomes, etc.

Plus peasants didn't fight very often, especially in winter. There was no mass conscription.
>>
File: Margrete_I_1353-1412.jpg (39KB, 327x485px) Image search: [Google]
Margrete_I_1353-1412.jpg
39KB, 327x485px
Well that's why you end up with conglomerate states, most of the time it was political maneuvering and shrewdness, like strategic marriages and alliances.
The creation of the Kalmar Union, a Danish led conglomerate state of all 3 Scandinavian countries, was formed by the political master play of Margrethe I and without a single drop of blood.
>>
>>2642721
"Trickle down" was more than a meme in the feudal world, you generally wanted your lord to do well so 1) he'd reward you and 2) he'd have extra stuff to reward you with in the first place.
>>
>>2642721
Yeah, I mean I guess it'd be better to put some effort in when you're going to pushed into battle by spear point, but morale must have been pathetic.

I understand religion, nationalism, etc. but some distant King?
>>
>>2645883
Money
>>
>>2641453
>Kingdoms claiming

Okay let me stop you right there.

Generally speaking it's people claiming multiple titles and then passing them on in a single dynastic line.

A kingdom itself as an abstract didn't really claim another kingdom.

Post-Classical to Pre-Westphalian European politics are extremely personal, and only slightly less personal after that up until the start of the 20th century.
>>
>>2645883
>but some distant King

Your local lord whom you probably know personally and are obligated to assist. Who in turn is obligated to assist a baron, who is obligated to assist a count, who is obligated to assist a duke, who is obligated to assist the King.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.