[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What are some problems with stoicism?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

File: IMG_3808.jpg (21KB, 216x212px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3808.jpg
21KB, 216x212px
What are some problems with stoicism?
>>
Makes you seem like an aloof, detached autistic weirdo. Girls consider suppressed attitudes to emotional expression a beta trait. Meaning as a stoic you sometimes have to exaggerate your feelings and put on a show.
>>
>>2627136
>Girls consider suppressed attitudes to emotional expression a beta trait.
Uh, what?
>>
Too focused on ethics, not enough attention given to metaphysics, epistemology or politics.
>>
I'd say there's a certain degree of cowardice in it; by refusing to seek out pleasure as a good, you never venture the pain of failure, thus lessening when you might have to actually experience it, and I believe that this is a major appeal to it.

I'd also contend that it encourages passivity and apathy to your own affairs, basically turning you into a beast of burden.
>>
There are none. Virtue is more than enough for a happy life. Most folks are just too weak to accept this.
>>
>>2627129
problem with stoicism is idiocy, for to achieve stoicism one must be confronted with what life has to offer. this is however seldom practiced by the basement dweller community.

living a secluded life in your cellar, communicating through irony, sarcasm and satire, is not stoicism, but idiocy.
>>
You replace all happy feelings with being smug that you deny yourself these feelings. It falls apart when you either get tired of being smug or people stop liking you because smugness is an invitation to be hated.
>>
I always thought that stoicism was just about being humble and brushing off negative feelings
>>
>>2627258

It basically is. It's about accepting reality as it is, making the most of the little pleasures in life, and not dwelling on negativity.
>>
>>2627129
Stoics hate anal
>>
>>2627404
Too bad
>>
>>2627129
>>>/a/
>>
>>2627260
Recall that being free from anxiety is not the end goal, however, that's epicureanism. The goal is to be free from anxiety so you can practice the virtues to the best of your ability
>>
>>2627483
That's why epicureanism is superior.
>>
>>2627470
Fuck off reddit
>>
>>2627129
It's too focused on universal moral law, which makes it straddle too close to deontological moral frameworks rather than stayin well rooted in a virtue ethical approach to morality.
>>
>>2627138

Women love angry or "aggressively" emotional men.

They want to be on an emotional rollercoaster ride. Plus a man who has no problem, in throwing his weight around, gives off signals that he'll do the same thing in defense of his family.
>>
Life denying
>>
>>2627142
Ancient stoicism developed its own unique metaphysics.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.