[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Age of Discovery

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 8

Can we have an Age of Discovery thread?
Please hit me with "born too late to explore the seas, born too early to explore space" type anecdotes.

thread theme:
https://youtu.be/1bOBjZMJ2l8
>>
File: Great-City-Of-Tenochtitla-008.jpg (37KB, 460x276px) Image search: [Google]
Great-City-Of-Tenochtitla-008.jpg
37KB, 460x276px
>I shall not be able to relate an hundredth part of what could be told respecting these matters but I will endeavor to describe, in the best manner in my power, what I have myself seen; and imperfectly as I may succeed in the attempt, I am fully aware that the account will appear so wonderful as to be deemed scarcely worthy of credit; since even when we who have seen these things with our own eyes, are yet so amazed as to be unable to comprehend their reality.

-Cortes Describes Tenochtitlan, From Cortés, Second Letter, 110–14
>>
File: 372_09_2.jpg (138KB, 750x494px) Image search: [Google]
372_09_2.jpg
138KB, 750x494px
>These people [Tlaxcalans], I know, have informed you that I possessed houses with walls of gold, and that my carpets and other things in common use were of the texture of gold and that I was a god, or made myself one, and many other such things. The houses you see are of stone and lime and earth. And then he opened his robes and showed his person to me, saying,
"You see that I am composed of flesh and bone like yourselves, and I am mortal, and palpable to the touch," at the same time pinching his arms and body with his hands; "see," he continued, "how they have deceived you. It is true I have some things of gold, which my ancestors have left me; all that I have is at your service whenever you wish it. I am now going to my other houses where I reside; you will be here provided with every thing necessary for yourself and your people, and will suffer no embarrassment, as you are in your own house and country."
-Cortes on Meeting Moctezuma, From Cortés, Second Letter, 85–89
>>
>>2621833
I'm About it and love this shit but can't contribute
>>
How did Spain go from Major power to fucking nothing
>>
File: magellan fleet.jpg (203KB, 1400x787px) Image search: [Google]
magellan fleet.jpg
203KB, 1400x787px
>The Strait of Magellan, as it became known, is located near the tip of South America, separating Tierra del Fuego and the continental mainland. Only three ships entered the passage; one had been wrecked and another deserted. It took 38 days to navigate the treacherous strait, and when ocean was sighted at the other end Magellan wept with joy.
>His fleet accomplished the westward crossing of the ocean in 99 days, crossing waters so strangely calm that the ocean was named “Pacific,” from the Latin word pacificus, meaning “tranquil.” By the end, the men were out of food and chewed the leather parts of their gear to keep themselves alive. On March 6, 1521, the expedition landed at the island of Guam.
>>
>>2622177
Religious wars, Hapsburg's, lost naval dominance to Anglos which fucked them in a lot of ways, Rebellions, Lost hold of Italy, and finally lost their crown to Napoleon and eventually the Revolutions.
>>
>>2621833
>age of discovery
>muh eu4 finally updated to become more railroady and used this phrase explain it
Still pissed that strengthen government now only gives absolutism not legitimacy although I will admit republics abused it
>>
>>2622141
>meet foreign leader
>he pulls his dick out and gives you a house
>>
>>2624583
kek, it's interesting though that he seems to acknowledge that he's mortal and also identifies that the spanish are mortals as well. This I find interesting because I thought the common belief was that they were dumbfounded and thought the spaniards were gods but this is just a myth? Perhaps it was different with the mayans or incans or something.
>>
>>2625369
The plebs will believe anything
>>
File: Los_13_de_la_Isla_del_Gallo.jpg (629KB, 941x629px) Image search: [Google]
Los_13_de_la_Isla_del_Gallo.jpg
629KB, 941x629px
The Famous Thirteen were a group of 16th century Spanish conquistadors that participated in the Spanish conquest of Peru (second expedition) along with their leader, Francisco Pizarro. In 1527 Pizarro and his men were waiting on the Isla del Gallo, in bad conditions, when the supply ship returned from Panama with orders from the Spanish governor to abandon the expedition. According to the traditional version of the story, Pizarro drew a line in the sand with his sword and said, "those on that side of the line can go back to Panama and be poor; those on this side can come to Peru and be rich. Let the good Castillian choose his path." In the traditional telling of the story, only thirteen men chose to stay with Pizarro.
>>
File: ghana-forts.jpg (79KB, 800x601px) Image search: [Google]
ghana-forts.jpg
79KB, 800x601px
>you will never be an European serving at early Gold Coast trade forts
>you will never live in a black continent surrounded by strange and exotic people and cultures
>you will never fight for your king and country in your own private little wars with enemy's forts around
>you will never stand guard on the walls of this one building inhabited by mere dozens of your countrymen thousands of miles from your homeland
>you will never meet traders, sailors, soldiers and explorers from all over the world and listen to their tales and fables of faraway lands and strange cultures and natures

~1700 was the best time to live
>>
>>2626189
>>2626290
which do you think was worse? Exploring africa or south america? Getting malaria must be hell.
>>
File: elperuANO.png (350KB, 451x445px) Image search: [Google]
elperuANO.png
350KB, 451x445px
>>2626954
Dealing with malaria is a joy compared to dealing with Peruvians.
>>
>>2625369
Aztecs got their vassals turned on them because all of them hated them guts.
Empire collapsed due to european diseases killing them by the millions.
Mayans were in open civil war.
>>
>>2624111
>pacific from the latin word"pacificus"

Its actually from the spanish word pacífico

The eternal anglo twists and rape history again
>>
>>2627067
I think that pacifico is both spanish and portuguese so it's even more logical
>>
I prefer the Heroic Age myself.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.