[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why did the Greeks go from an archaic style to the realistic

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

Why did the Greeks go from an archaic style to the realistic classical style?

There is no other culture in history that began making realistic or naturalistic art.
Even the Phoenicians, that lived in city states and colonies just like the Greeks, were making archaic statues until they were destroyed by Rome.

Why? Was it the competitive nature of Greek city states? Was it their redefinition of nudity as civilized? Was it the free debate of democracy that changed their mind?
>>
>>2617472
the archaic style was borrowed from egyptian statuary

eventually i guess they formed their own style
>>
>>2617482
>eventually i guess they formed their own style
Well obviously, my question is why?
>>
>>2617505
>my question is why?

For the same reason any fashion develops.

Because people think it looks cool.

You can clearly see why a more realistic interpretation of the human figure might look cool and be a better display of artistic skill than a more rigid and unrealistic depiction.
>>
File: cagliari_gigant.jpg (66KB, 580x600px) Image search: [Google]
cagliari_gigant.jpg
66KB, 580x600px
>>2617472
I wonder why the earliest stone human sized statues found in Europe were made in Sardinia, they do not look like anything made by the Egyptians, yet they're at least 2-3 centuries older than the earliest Greek statues and even older than the Phoenician ones (which are very few, by the way).
>>
>>2617586
>It just happens
That's not really an explanation.
>>
Because Greeks are white.
>>
There was probably just one guy who was really smart and just figured all the shit out about sculpting and told everybody how.
>>
>>2617615
It is because Sardinians are glorious haplogroup I just like Yugoslavs and Nordics.
>>
>>2617624
Inb4 thread derails
>>
There's some realistic proportion statues in India, but they aren't typically posing and are in a destroyed state. I guess you could argue "still archaic" but the transition into the realistic classical style is there, it just didn't complete itself. You're also probably dealing with cultures who had much more mysticism attached to knowledge. Hellenic culture (that includes early Rome) was intensely interested in the science of construction, and that likely led to less idealized or amateur art, and sculptors taking chances making statues that weren't guaranteed to be stable without math and technique to back it up. Also, the "nude" argument is a questionable one, these statues may have had adornments, like they were confirmed to have paint.
>>
>>2617619
It's good enough for life sciences. Why do species mutate? They just do. Why do some trends take off in some places but not others? They just do.
History, as life, is full of stochastic phenomena like this.
>>
>>2617646
>Hellenic culture (that includes early Rome) was intensely interested in the science of construction
Were they? Then what is the source of their immense interest in construction?

The more I think about it, the more I think it has to do with the competition between city states. Take the shrine at Delphi, the city states competed in being the most zealous worshippers. The ones with the greatest treasury at Delphi were the most pious, and thus knew the gods loved them the most. Same at the Olympic games. Or the other games. Or the island of Delos. Not to mention all of these places were close by two dozen city states, so everybody knew of the art of the other.

This is different from great empires where the capital has the greatest temple in several months of travel's distance. The need to compete is not there, since your average citizen won't know of the art in the neighboring empire.
>>
>>2617472
Iirc it was a simple matter of artistic innovation. Someone at some point figured out how to realim statues.

Relevant link
https://youtu.be/eO-c7n1FpCc
>>
>>2617674
That's not life sciences.

Life sciences is that species mutate. The ones with advantageous mutations have more offspring, The ones that get disadvantageous mutations (most of mutations) die off.

The mutations just happen. Which mutation that happen to be advantageous is not.
>>
>>2617718
>Were they? Then what is the source of their immense interest in construction?
I mean you just gave one possible explanation. The fact is that the Mediterranean set up long lasting architectural structures, and the societies outside this area didn't do that or create these realistic statues. There has to be a correlation there, even if the answer is "aryan invaders were fucking autists who only liked straight lines and couldn't understand subtlety, so artists used poses and slight imperfections to convey meaning."
>>
File: qinbronzechariot.jpg (68KB, 600x400px) Image search: [Google]
qinbronzechariot.jpg
68KB, 600x400px
marble and mediterranean trade provided a good environment for professional sculptors I'm guessing
>>
Ancient aliens obviously.
>>
It's only a function of money.
>>
>>2617646
>There's some realistic proportion statues in India, but they aren't typically posing and are in a destroyed state.

I heard a lot of Indian sculpture is influenced by the Graeco-Bactrians and Indo-Greeks.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.