[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Was Julius Caesar justified in his response to the senate?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

File: caesar1.gif (49KB, 425x327px) Image search: [Google]
caesar1.gif
49KB, 425x327px
Was Julius Caesar justified in his response to the senate?
>>
>>2611185
>>2611185
>If you like the Republic
Then no, he broke laws and the Senate wished to punish him. He then destroyed the fabric of the Rome for his own personal gain.

>If you prefer the post republic empire
Then yes, Julius was a symptom of the dying Republic and had he not done what he did someone else would have come along anyways. He set Rome on a trajectory that would see it rise to its greatest.

In reality its not so black and white, and the truth is a combination of these two heavily oversimplified ideas.
>>
>>2611272

How did he destroy the fabric of Rome? Was he supposed to submit and be executed like the other populists?
>>
>>2611185
If we go by laws, no.
If we go by precedent, yes.
Afterall, everything Caesar asked had already been asked by Pompey, and the same exact senate leadership gave it to him. Why should Caesar just accept a different treatment?
>>
Fun fact i masterbated in the same theatre he was killed in
>>
>>2611959
>i masterbated in the same theatre he was killed in
Are you 15 centuries old? That place was destroyed in the late empire and used as building materials during the middle ages-
>>
>>2611959
>>2611988
Fucking kek
>>
>>2611988
Meant to say ON the theatre.

>what is campo d' fiori
>>
>>2611554
He monopolized power between the richest man in Rome, Crassus, and Rome's most glorified general, Pompey. Then Crassus got himself killed in Parthia and Pompey conveniently took up the senatorial banner to reassert his role as Rome's bulwark, a position he enjoyed in the Social Wars and the Eastern Wars. He jealously desired the popularity that Caesar was gaining after his Gallic campaign. He may have also honestly believed he was defending the Republic as well although he himself had enjoyed unprecedented supreme power before Caesar was even a consul. Caesar beat him too and Pompey was assassinated in Egypt. Once his enemies were all dead, Caesar could not be dislodged. Caesar's hold on the plebian's affections was total. He was a king in all but name. The senatorial classes became impotent aristocrats who, while fabulously wealthy, had no political power. So they acted, thinking no other man could step in his shoes. Antony, while a born soldier, was dissolute and prone to debauchery.
>>
>>2612023
>Meant to say ON the theatre.
Oh, so you're just 800 years old, since Palazzo Orsini Righetti was built right over it in the 13th century.

Next stop:
>I meant to say near!
I wouldn't even be surprised in that case, the area is always full of drunken youths.
>>
>>2612038
Ah you got me! I guess you can go ahead and add that tally mark on your wall.
>>
>>2612035

The Senate was assassinating populists with impunity starting with the two brothers
>>
You get the sense that the Senate almost wanted an authoritarian to take control by the end save for upstarts like Cato and Cicero.
>>
>>2611185
"Stop stabbing me" doesn't seem very eloquent.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.