[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why do people call themselves "non-denominational Christians"

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2

File: straight-christian-335x500.jpg (52KB, 335x501px) Image search: [Google]
straight-christian-335x500.jpg
52KB, 335x501px
Why do people call themselves "non-denominational Christians" when they believe in the same exact thing as Baptists and Pentecostals?
>>
>>2607998
Everyone instinctively realizes the bias that undermines a Denominational position so they seek to distance themselves.

&humanities.
>>
I legitimately think it has to do with Baptists having a negative "redneck" stereotype.
>>
>>2607998
>christian advocating against their beliefs
I don't get those cunts. I was christian growing up and realised my views weren't compatible with the creed so I simply left the church rather than cherrypicking my beliefs and larping as if it was okay all along. NewAge faithfags need to be gassed.
>>
>>2608141
Cognitive dissonance.
>>
>>2607998
because our Church isn't organizationally tied to Baptists or Pentacostals

besides that obvious point, our Church doesn't have a dogma that extends to all areas of theology. We have a very, very barebones sola scriptura view of what it means to be a Christian. We don't have Church policies on things like evolution, predestination, etc.

in fact most in my church would disagree with Baptist positions on predestination, communion, and the role of clergy
>>
>>2608141
Who's to say people can't form their own subjective interpretation of the Bible and discard that which is no longer relevant? Religion evolves and changes like everything else. Biblical literalism is largely a Burger phenomenon that's undermining the philosophical truths at the core of Christianity
>>
>>2608141
This. It pissed me off to no end talking to my Catholic Aunt about how she supports birth control, and how she thinks the Church is "wrong" about it. I'm also Catholic, and I support/do a lot of things that go against the Church's teachings, but by the nature of my faith I realize the problem is me, not them.
>>
>>2608141
>Nondenominational shitting on nondenominational.
Luther was a fucking mistake.
>>
>>2608195
uh, that's not the same thing

The Church isn't God, you're allowed to disagree with it

The Bible is the word of God. The Pope's opinion on how married couples should plan their families is not the word of God. Even if you think it is.
>>
>>2608207
The word of God says it's the word of God though.
>>
>>2608229
untrue
>muh rock

anybody claiming that the Roman Catholic church has anything to do with Peter is suffering from the greatest mass of cognitive dissonance in human history
>it is observable fact and simple log c that there is no Biblical authority in the Roman Catholic church but people still believe there is for almost 1,700 years now

wew lad
>>
>>2608194
There is a line between literalism and purposefully misconstruing exegesis because its conclusions do not match modern norms. It's pure hypocrisy. Either own up to some your archaic beliefs and enjoy the benefits of separation of church&state (eg. I think x is wrong and god will eventually punish you for it, but it's not my job to do so) to prevent from going full sperg...OR accept they are incompatible with social norms/political emancipation laws/scientific theories/etc and leave the fucking church already. Just be congruent instead of a larper.

>>2608196
Not a nondenominationalfag, I'm an agnostic tipper. I couldn't reconcile my beliefs with the creed so I left christianity rather than forcing my views onto my ex-coreligionists.
>>
>>2608207
>>2608245
We get it, you're protestant.
>>
>>2608207
The bible was written by people in the church. why is it God's word? It's just the record of things people say God said.
>>
File: maxresdefault-1.jpg (57KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault-1.jpg
57KB, 1280x720px
>>2608195
>but by the nature of my faith I realize the problem is me, not them.
I know that cathoguilt feel all too well
>>
>>2608141
People pick and choose shit out of their religions all the time. It's just what people who believe in something but not all of the rules do. I have no problem with it, but then again, I don't have autism.
>>
>>2608188

>we're not a denomination we're just sola scriptura

Sola scriptura is a denomination. It's called Lutheranism/Protestant.
>>
I'm sick of this "non-denominational" shit. It's just a fancy way for people to say "I'm a Christian". The reality is every single thing you believe in can be categorized. In terms of salvation, grace, Heaven, Hell, the end of the world, etc. There's no such thing as non-denominational.
>>
>>2608927
>Protestant
not a denomination
>Lutheran
we don't have the same views on the eucharist or baptism
>Lutheran eucharist
"real presence"
>my church
both symbolic and communal experience

>Lutheran baptism
allows infants
>my church
must be an independent believer. no strict age limit but at least a teenager.
>>
>>2608250
Anglicanism is quite diverse in terms of beliefs, "don't check your brain at the door". I like the Anglican aesthetic and nothing else conveys the same sense of spiritual meaning and community that it does so I see no reason to leave the church. I think the philosophical truths of Christianity and its tradition can continue to provide meaning in people's lives while discarding that which is no longer relevant today.
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.