[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Classics/Clasical Languages General?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 104
Thread images: 7

File: 1481591759803.png (656KB, 779x540px) Image search: [Google]
1481591759803.png
656KB, 779x540px
I don't think I've ever seen one here, but I was thinking that a classical languages general would be pretty neat to have.

I think it'd be cool to have a thread for anons studying classics and/or classical languages or for anons interested in it in general to have a thread to congregate towards.

The language scope would focus primarily on Greek, both attic and koine, and Latin, from early antiquity to later church Latin and others. Further, original historical documents can be analyzed and discussed to keep with the topic of the board.

I don't really have an OP typed up for this cause I don't know if anybody is interested in this or not. Hopefully people are and links to resources can be posted along the way.
>>
Here's one link that I found to be pretty neat.

http://thelatinlibrary.com/
>Latin sources of various orators and historians

Also can't forget about the Gutenberg library.
https://www.gutenberg.org/
>>
>>2605881
You know, that image should be stale, dated and unfunny by now, and yet I like it.
>>
>>2607200
Thanks for the bump at least.
>>
>>2605881
Took 2 years of Latin. Seems like it'd be nice, but it's been almost a year since I've been in a Latin class. Glad to have taken the course since it's really helped me understand other languages.
>>
>>2607653
Yeah, I'm learning Latin on my own since my Uni doesn't offer it as a language, nor does it have a Classics program (to my knowledge at least, I might double check that).

I just hope more people like this idea cause I really like it and think it could be a good addition to this board.
>>
hi
http://lexicity.com/
>>
Classical language education is currently at trash tier levels. Students spend several years learning about grammar and never actually learning the language. They get tricked into thinking that they are actually doing something productive when they slowly translate texts into english based on their knowledge of grammar instead of just learning the language and then reading the text directly. Compare a fourth year German student to a fourth year Latin student. The German student will be more than proficient enough to read a novel in a week or two, and then go and discuss it in German with his teacher. The Latin student will spend a hour/page slowly but surely translating into English (which will have many errors) so he can read it and then will go and complain how difficult it is - in English.
This video summmarises the (current) best method to learn latin (but doesn't mention the huge amount of graded readers out there - search 'vivarium novum libri scholastici' for a lot).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61Kk7VkoWbc

The situation with Greek is broadly similar, but there has been something of a renaissance in koine greek, which now has a growing living method community (buth's living method and christophe rico's polis being the leaders). This is likely due to the similarities between modern greek and koine.
>>
>latine scribere conor
>autocorrect convertit vocabula Latina in Hispanica

Cur vivere?
>>
The SPQR app is absolutely wonderful for anyone studying Latin. It has whole books in Latin too.
>>
>>2608780
You should always learn words before focusing on grammar with any language.
>>
>>2609506
Non vocabula, sed sententiae sunt quod primum discimus in studio novae linguae.

Exempli gratia, pueri qui linguam anglicam studiunt, discunt dicere "how are you?", nescientes quid significent "how", "are" et "you".
>>
This would be great. I'm currently in the process of getting a Classics degree (focusing on Roman History), and I'd be down.
>>
Neat, so I see that there is some interest in this thread.

I'll draft up a kind of prelim OP with resources I have at hand, and it can be added to or things removed as the thread goes on.
>>
File: Screenshot_2017-04-03_17-35-26.png (66KB, 598x583px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2017-04-03_17-35-26.png
66KB, 598x583px
fucking spam filter.
>>
>>2609800
This is the OP btw.
>>
I'd be down, desu.

Mei amo pro Latina est optime apud aliquae.

Tu posset vides "Ego non sum bene" dicem Latina.

Ego necessitudo ops.
>>
>>2610341
Quid scribere conatus es? Verba tua nimis confusa sunt.
>>
Some links that may be of interest:
>Spinoza works in Latin
http://users.telenet. be/rwmeijer/spinoza/works.htm?lang=E
>Some Latin works on logic
http://www.logicmuseum .com/wiki/Main_Page
>Latin Wikipedia
https://la.wikipedia. org/wiki/Vicipaedia:Pagina_prima
>>
does anyone know any good audio resources like michel thomas' stuff?

I can't find anything and I like learning in the car
>>
>>2610360
Censeo eum conatum esse dicere:

"Amor meus erga linguam latinam maximus est. Sed, ut videre potes, latinitas mea non est bona".
>>
>>2610360
Sic. Ego sum semper confuso in Latinae.
>>
>>2610560
Sic, sic. Tu habes optime sapientiae.
>>
Qui hoc legebat sallustum? Ego legiantus eum nam
>>
moriemini is plural FailFish I can't believe you fans are so ignorant, believe me if 4chan saw this he would be disappointed
>>
File: Y4Wo4p5.jpg (83KB, 951x840px) Image search: [Google]
Y4Wo4p5.jpg
83KB, 951x840px
>>2610788

>using twitch emotes on 4chan

newfag spotted
>>
>>2610697
I've read Bellum Catilinae. Also are you sure legiantus is a word?
>>
>>2610791
newfag? do you even know the first thing about 4chan? I thought not. i've been here since before the site was invented
>>
>all those latin fags
Learn Greek first
>>
>>2610794
Fuck, meant legens. Crossfaded rn sorry latin bros
>>
Let's try to keep this thread alive. I'd really like it if this took off regularly.
>>
>>2610828
εγωγε εkεινας δυο γλωσσας οιδα, αλλα ελλενιkη εστι χαλεποτερα.
>>
File: 1468543109452.jpg (17KB, 222x297px) Image search: [Google]
1468543109452.jpg
17KB, 222x297px
May anyone find the original text of "Zosimus. New history"?
>>
>>2610828
Latin gives a more immediate reward, IMHO, but maybe that's just because I've been a Romaboo since I was a small child.

I do agree that one should learn Greek, too, though.
>>
>>2605881
Bane?
>>
File: amo.png (77KB, 1676x954px) Image search: [Google]
amo.png
77KB, 1676x954px
>>2605881
>Inflected languages

As an Anglo, it's amazing that anyone could have known all these rules natively
>>
>>2605881
I think we should follow >>2609800's idea.
Dump resources you know here, so we can organise everything later and make a pastebin. Already made lists/guides are welcome too, like:
http://4chanint.wikia. com/wiki/Classical_Latin
>>
>>2608780
Cambridge Latin course is still the best
>>
>>2612193
>anglo
Unless you're a burger you have no excuse, we have a long tradition of being fluent in Latin until the working class ruined academia
>>
>>2612193
If you use them constantly, then they become second nature.

Think about the past tenses of strong English verbs: they come naturally to us, without even thinking, whereas they're a huge pain in the arse for foreigners.

>>2610828
Latin is miles easier than Greek. They teach Latin here to 3 year olds now (England); Greek is arguably more difficult.

Still nothing compared to the shitshow that is Sanskrit, however.
>>
>>2612559
As for me, I've dumped: >>2610410
Other resources:
https://ryanfb.github. io/loebolus/
https://geoffreysteadman. com/
https://www.youtube. com/user/sargewam/
https://www.youtube. com/channel/UCfkuxclgDXKNTu8g-8sRJMQ
https://www.youtube. com/user/evan1965/
https://www.youtube. com/channel/UCxS3m8PITAWuADD9Nic1YOg
>>
>>2612193
That is nothing.

Look at a Greek verb.
>>
>>2611771
Where are the spiriti?
>>
>>2612594
This is great. If you could put descriptions as to what each link is or covers like you did here >>2610410, that'd be great.

It would help me to organize better for the OP.
>>
HOW DO I LEARN TO TRILL BOYS

I feel like I can't relax my tongue enough to do it properly. It's been a couple weeks and I feel like I haven't improved. How long did it take you guys?
I speak Midwestern english btw so rolling R's is very strange to me
>>
>>2612638
I'm organising resources with descriptions in some notes, when I am done I will dump the lists here.
>>
>>2612687
Practise.

Try making a silly, flapping noise with the tongue. Then slowly shorten it, then try to incorporate it into words.
>>
>>2612717
Where should my tongue be? A little bit behind my top row teeth?
>>
>>2608780

Its the old public school tradition more than anything else. Latin and Greek have always been taught by rote and so they are now. Cant see any logic behind it other than its hard to practice the language casually.
>>
Any other Sanskritists here?
>>
File: a0752173980335b6b9fbffe57dd3d38c.jpg (184KB, 736x1093px) Image search: [Google]
a0752173980335b6b9fbffe57dd3d38c.jpg
184KB, 736x1093px
>>2608734
Dude nice thanks
>>
>>2612756
How long did that take you to learn my dude
>>
>>2612739
Yeah. I think they call it the 'alveodental ridge'. The tongue flaps on and off that surface.

>>2612756
Me. For my sins.

The Greek babbies in this thread have no idea.
>>
>>2612794
Not him. But I've been learning it for about 5 years, and I'm still utterly shit.
>>
>>2612799
Gratias. I guess I just need to practice more

>>2612806
Yeah it looked like some crazy shit
>>
>>2612638
I think it will take quite a while to render it all neat and organised, with proper descriptions. The thread will probably be 404'd the moment I finish it. If that happen to be the case, I will post on the CLG thread that will be alive the moment I finish the work, or I will make one myself.
>>
What ancient author has the best Latin?
Is it Cicero?
>>
>>2612970
Well I'll make sure to keep the thread alive then. Thanks.
>>
File: Check em.jpg (11KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
Check em.jpg
11KB, 225x225px
If repeating digits I will learn mandarin
>>
>>2605881
Are Latin and Greek languages one can learn on their own?

Through lurking/talking to people i get the general sense someone needs at least some direction initially.

Great thread so far.
>>
>>2612806
"Χαλεπά τά kαλά"
>>
>>2610495
Im currently using Michel Thomas to learn Japanese and I gotta say Im really enjoying it. Comfy as fuck.
>>
>>2614035
Lingua Latina: familia romana
>>
>>2612971
I don't think anyone here as enough knowledge to answer that. We know, though, that Cicero is always referred as an example of pure and stylish classic Latin.
>>
>>2614787
Yes, but Cicero is boring as fuck to read. I'd suggest Petronius and Virgilius if you're looking for good comfy "novels", Catullus and Martialis for funny witty epigrammata and Lucretius, Plinius and Isidorus if you are interested in encyclopedias and how the latins view the world.

Seneca is not that entertaining, but he’s very easy to read.
>>
>>2605881
>>2612990
I've not put descriptions on everything, only titles, but here is the list:
https://pastebin.com/AwUSWQ1U
I'm accepting suggestions of resources and of ways of organising the content.
>>
>>2615644
But just from reading translations I can tell that Cicero was a very effective speaker and rhetorician, plus a lot of the politics is very interesting
>>
>>2616895
This is fantastic, anon. So many resources here. So what I'm essentially wanting to do then, is to find and pick the most important/immediately useful resources and include them directly in the OP. All others will be linked through the pastebin.

Something like a beginners course or an intro book for newcomers, and the more advanced stuff can remain in the pastebin for those who know what they need or are looking for.
In any case, we can continue to work on it over time, and hopefully more Greek stuff (and maybe even other ancient languages too) can be added by those more knowledgeable.
>>
>>2616956
Yes, I think it is important to be selective in the OP. The downside of listing too many resources is that someone who wants to learn may feel lost among so much alternatives.
I think the essentials would be:
>Lingua latina per se illustrata
>Some grammar (I studied one in my native language, I don't know the English ones very well)
>The Latin Library
>Forum Romanum
>Perseus Project
>Wiktionary
>Perseus Word Study Tool
>>
>>2617030
I would add Companion to Familia Romana for the Lingua Latina. It's an invaluable addition to Lingua Latina and really helps to better understand it so you're not kind of clawing through the dark.
>>
>>2617688
what is it called?
>>
>>2617848
Companion to Familia Romana.
>>
>>2617866
Oh lmao. Thanks.
>>
>>2617688
Thanks, I added it to the list.
>>
How long does it take to get good at latin?
>>
>>2621787
To get good at simple texts, 10 000 sentences.
To get good at literature, 100 000 sentences or 200 000.
To get fluency, 1 000 000 sentences.

Source:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61Kk7VkoWbc
>>
>>2621787
Note, it's about actually reading, not just "translating" by checking word by word, as if the text were just a puzzle.
>>
>>2608780
This happened to me. Spent 5 years taking Latin (4 high school, 1 college). All grammar all the time. Still needed a dictionary for everything since we spent no time on vocabulary, just knowing the grammar. Which was okay at the time but defeats that how purpose of "Learn Latin to learn base words for English" (Wasn't my goal but still).

I want to get back into on my own now. I haven't touched Latin in some time but it was fun to read.
>>
Could we also suggest some works written in the original language based on their difficulty? Its for those done with say, Lingua Latina or Polis, and want to improve their skills. Also, audio resource links would be appreciated.

So, it would be like:
>Easy
W author
>Medium
X author
>Hard
Y auhor
>Professional
Z author

etc.

Suggestion on a Greek textbook: Greek Ollendorff by Kendrick. Its an old Greek textbook thats free on archive.org. Also, the textkit forum (add it to the sticky) has free audio recordings of it by non-professionals.
>>
>>2623319
Maybe, but that could only be done by someone who knows well those authors. I could not do it as I'm not very knowledgeable on the difficulty of different classical works, indeed I'm a beginner myself.
But I think in the easy part we could place philosophers and theologians, who usually have a more direct and simple style.
>>
Sanskrit is good
>>
>>2605881
>Classical Languages
>Ignore all of the non-European classical languages
>>
>>2624983
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Classical_antiquity
>>
keep alive bump
>>
>>2625674
I've heard of more universal uses of "classical". For example "Classical Chinese Thought".
>>
>>2626940
Well, I think it would be better if we just focus on Greek and Latin, and then civilisations that influenced the Mediterranean ones, like Egypt, Chaldea, and India.
>>
>>2605881
>Tu es magnus homo
every time
>>
If you guys want I can make a google spreadsheet to manage the resources you guys want included and make it into a pastebin. Need ideas for names, resources, etc. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/14ehvAf3KZH_bV4rYI9v0qZ95-098iZ_pAMWLKUjt8gc/edit#gid=0
>>
>>2627511
I've made a pastebin for Latin:
>>2616895
>>
>>2627672
nice. didn't see. If I can suggest something, try putting Cambridge's latin course on there. I thought it was really helpful and the books can be accessed online for free. It's a good academic understanding of latin imo
>>
>>2627791
The course is already in the "Grammars and courses" section.
Anyway, we need Greekaboos to help with Greek resources.
>>
>>2627027
Ok, suit yourself
>>
>>2627963
Classicism is a roman-Greco thing and classic anything in history usually refers to Latin. I'm not opposed to other languages, but it'd make sense if we went with Roman-Greco things.
>>
>>2612193
That's what happens when you grow up with a language, it'll just come naturally to you. How often do you have to think about whether you should use 'am' vs. 'is' vs. 'are'?
>>
Too many latinfags. With greek you can read early philosophy and literature as it was made.
>>
>>2627963
If we should include any ancient language, I think it would be better to rename it to Ancient Languages General. But an ALG would be cool and interesting, maybe it would have more posters than CLG.
>>
>>2628237
OP here. This is a very malleable topic. It doesn't have to be a rigid "Latin + Greek" exclusive thread. It can be modified to Ancient & Classical Languages general, or /ACLG/. The primary focus would just be on Greek and Latin sources since that's what most of our sources are in.

But of course, if that's going to be successful, resources are going to be needed and people who know what they're talking about as well.
>>
>>2628256
We have a paste bin, but the problem is we only really have Latin fags, we have no idea where to begin with the other languages so that's why I thought making it just Latin-Greek (and possibly classic based languages depending on loose we are with what is meant by "classic". And if we go Ancient, what do we include?
>>
>>2628272
Right, I understand that. That's why I said the "primary focus would just be on Greek and Latin sources", and that we need people who know their shit for that "Ancient" part to be successful.

For now, it can be left as just /CLG/, but if things pick up, and other languages reach comparable levels of discussion, surely it can be modified.
>>
>>2628289
For the most part we have what we need, someone made the pastebin. All we need now are greek fags, a general, and maybe another place to discuss (most generals have other places like a discord as teamspeak afaik but we don't have to include that). Would be neat seeing a general on /his/. The "purists" and /pol would probably hate it and see it as the death of /his though.
>>
>>2628333
I think it should just stick to /his/. IRC/IM/chat services always devolve into exclusive circlejerks. I would advise against that.

But yeah, just basically keep these threads going until some Greekfags can hop on and help out.
>>
>>2628363
>tfw not nearly as many greek fags as roman fags
Really fires up my neurons
>>
>>2628396
Probably cause all them Greek homos were still living in caves and sheeit.
>>
Bump because this is actually a good idea and generals might be able to save us from the shitposts and /pol.
Thread posts: 104
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.