[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

The Great Game

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 5

File: Remnants_of_an_army2.jpg (773KB, 2180x1245px) Image search: [Google]
Remnants_of_an_army2.jpg
773KB, 2180x1245px
A topic about the 1st and the 2nd Afghan Wars. I'm becoming more and more interested in this period, tell me interesting facts about it /his/.
>>
It's really difficult to conquer decentralized tribal peoplenin mountainous regions. Just ask the Caucasus. But Russia need that warm water port and Anglos don't want anymore competition at sea.
>>
>>2603253
Bump.
>>
>>2603253
I know the first war a little bit as I'm half afghan-half brit.
>beginning starts by Britain invading and taking over Afghanistan. They insert a puppet into the throne.
>brit's make the dumb mistake of deciding to stay in Afghanistan instead of fucking off already
>brit's CONTINUE to do dumb shit like angering the local Afghan chieftains by reducing their incomes (they were paid to guard trade routes) and creating prostitution rings for british and colonial soldiers
>a solid number of soldiers are called back for the Chinese opium wars leading to a total number of the soldiers in Kabul is just 5,000 soldiers and 12,000 camp followers (basically civilians)
>brits and indians get starved out and then get their ass whooped
>>
>>2603484
fellow halfghan, eh?
>>2603253
I don't really know anything about the wars except my dad telling me how "Brydon had it coming" when I was younger
>>
>>2603484
>>2604057
afghan father, british mother, let me guess

It's crazy that just 2 or 3 generations ago the brits colonized half the world.

Now they are getting colonized.
>>
>>2604099
American mother

my dad lived through the Saur Revolution and escaped to Paris just two weeks before the 40th army arrived in AFG on december 24th 1979
>>
File: britball1.png (214KB, 577x509px) Image search: [Google]
britball1.png
214KB, 577x509px
>>2604099
>>
File: the great game part 1.png (2MB, 1484x8729px) Image search: [Google]
the great game part 1.png
2MB, 1484x8729px
>>2603253

A based anon had a thread running a while back where he wrote all sorts of cool stuff. Some other based anon made a pic out of all of the text.
>>
File: the great game part 2.png (2MB, 1484x9710px) Image search: [Google]
the great game part 2.png
2MB, 1484x9710px
>>2604189
>>
When American soldiers went in, they found villages where not only had the people never heard of America, they'd never heard of Afghanistan.
>>
>>2604099
>>2604161
l o l
>>
>>2604099
>it's crazy that sending colonies out to die for a country that refused said colonies any right to self governance of representation in government and becoming bankrupted b two of the largest conflicts in history would lead to a breakup of an empire and the desire for cheaper labour in the nation
Wowsers
>>
>>2604161
>afghan father
>american mogher
>somehow a british citizen
what the fucking fuck
>>
File: ItemImage.jpg (28KB, 277x400px) Image search: [Google]
ItemImage.jpg
28KB, 277x400px
If anyone have any interest in The Great Game, this is a must read

The Great Game by Peter Hopkirk

Really well written and the multiple povs from both sides during the whole period make a fascinating read.
>>
>>2604099
Yeah haha
>>
>>2604301
>they'd never heard of Afghanistan.
Haha wtf
>>
>>2605336
It was a good book but it was mostly told from the British perspective. Not a complaint necessarily but if you're looking for more on Russia specifically during this period it's probably best to look elsewhere.
>>
>>2604099
>>2604057
>>2604161
must be fun to be a mixed race mongrel who hates whitey because he has no real identity of his own and doesn't fit into any group

abominations like you will be culled
>>
>>2606210
T. Assblasted white boi
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.