[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Vanuatu Cargo Cults

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

During and after WWII Vanuatu islanders worshiped Prince Philip as a God as well as mythical US-soldier called John Frum.

>Cult behaviors usually involved mimicking the day-to-day activities and dress styles of US soldiers, such as performing parade ground drills with wooden or salvaged rifles. The islanders carved headphones from wood and wore them while sitting in fabricated control towers. They waved the landing signals while standing on the runways. They lit signal fires and torches to light up runways and lighthouses.

What the fuck was/is going on here?
>>
>>2599027

i love the tragedy of it.

>maybe if we also carry out the rituals the metal bird with food and plenty will come
>>
>>2599027
>What the fuck was/is going on here?
If I recall, I believe there was either an airbase or perhaps an emergency landing there during the war, and the tribe was isolated enough that they couldn't comprehend what was happening and so they perform these rituals based entirely on observation. Basically, what >>2599045 said. I love the strange, futile nature of it all myself. Fascinating stuff.
>>
It's like real-life The Gods Must Be Crazy
>>
>>2599027
Actually this is really interesting on how and why religions are formed.

They might have their won creationists, this metal barrel looks intelligently created.
>>
>>2599064
> there was either an airbase or perhaps an emergency landing there during the war, and the tribe was isolated enough that they couldn't comprehend what was happening and so they perform these rituals based entirely on observation.

Honestly, I can't even blame them. I'd worship a plane if I happened to still be in the Stone Age.
>>
>>2599080
So it wasn't really aliens that built the pyramids but ancient humans? (not Egyptians, but Atlanteans or something)
>>
>>2599080
Yeah, I can't even imagine how I'd react if I was still living in a Neolithic village and an aircraft descended down from the sky, myself. It's like something ripped from the pages of a cheap science fiction story.
>>
>>2599107
I don't remember the source, but I read somewhere that coastal American tribes referred to European exploration ships as "water villages", as they were incapable of comprehending that something THAT big could be a boat.
>>
>>2599142
It would be interesting to see a collection of all the misinterpreted sightings of advanced technologies throughout history. I'll have to check out these 'water villages" - it's the first time I've ever heard of them. Thanks for bringing that to my attention anon.
>>
>>2599045
You haven't fully experienced it unless you watch a documentary where this one cargo cult priest piously explains to the interviewer, that when John Frum returns from the mythical land called America, not only will there be abundance but he will make things right, correct all injustices, and in short
>Every valley shall be exalted, and every mountain and hill shall be made low: and the crooked shall be made straight, and the rough places places plane
Of course we know his faith is entirely false and vain. But replace America with kingdom of heaven and...
>>
>>2599155
No problem. It's actually from a pretty great Christian book where the author explains how in this way, evidence for God's existence could be hiding in plain sight.
>>
>>2599393
Link?
>>
What's the difference between Jesus and John Frum?

Cargo cults may seem amusing but are actually strikingly similar to Christianity
>>
>>2600422
> Significantly more eye witnesses
> Teached actual wisdom
>>
>>2600420
Into the Inferno, Netflix documentary by Werner Herzog.
>>
>>2600422
John Frum is actually white (funnily enough the natives believe he will take their side against whitey and kick out of their islands).
>>
>>2601187
kick them* out, namely whitey.
>>
reminder that today's "cargo cults" are just memes put on to entertain tourists.
>>
>>2601253
citation?
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.