[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Irish Population Demographics

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

In 1841, the population of Ireland was 6.53 million. By 1851, it was 5.11 million. It continue to decline till 1961 when it bottomed out at 2.82 million. Today it's at 4.76 million.

So two questions:
1) Why did the Irish population continue to decline even after the famine?
2) Are there any other modern examples of countries or regions where the population from the mid-19th century was higher than the current population?
>>
Also sorry, I just noticed that the data I provided and the graph don't match. This is due to the data being for the Republic of Ireland while the graph is for the Republic and Northern Ireland.
>>
>>2589479
1) Emigration, mostly to America.
2) Possibly the "bloodlands", aka the areas of Europe worst hit by both world wars. Maybe other areas that suffered under communism.
>>
>>2589513
Was emigration the only reason though?

I mean other European countries didn't experience this level of population decline and they also had a ton of emigration.
>>
>>2589479
IIRC Persia's population only returned to its pre-KHAN level in the 19th or 20th century
>>
>>2589479
I was just thinking about this the other day, actually, in regards to the Austro-Hungarian Empire. I can't be sure because it's modern national borders don't line up with the boundaries of the old empire, but it seemed to me that the constituent former territories might have a lower combined population today than they did at the end of the 19th century.
>>
>>2589479
Have you seen Irish women? You wouldn't repopulate the island either
>>
>>2590490
KHANED
>>
>>2590366
>millions of children die
>millions of reproductive-age adults emigrate
>wondering why the demographic recovery is slow
>>
>>2591052
I mean I completely understand why it would be slow but I can't understand why it took until the 1960s before the decline ended.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.