[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Gansterization of American Culture

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

File: 1292278539226.jpg (249KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1292278539226.jpg
249KB, 500x500px
Where /pol/ describes it as the cancerous spread of degeneracy, Cornel West recently described (I think) the same phenomena as the "Gangsterization" of American culture.

>Oligarchic Economy
>Plutocracy
>"Amused at death", implicitly consenting to it
>General feelings of helplessness, impotence
>Narcissism
>Subservient to Power
>Traumatized by market driven Darwinism

(~7:00 minutes in if you're interested: http://radioopensource.org/american-experiment-part-1-steering-titanic/)

What do you think? Is the US morphing into a nasty Central American shithole?

I think there is a highly regarded "opportunism" in American culture and this is often an asset. But it seems we've been off the rails for awhile. What would an improvement look like?

Do you think there is a philosophy or perspective that can seem more compelling than the "ima get mine" ethic that pervades the US? I wish I could think of a "cool" counter to the gangster aesthetics that seem so integral to appreciating American culture at the moment.

Will it require a massive crisis to discredit these memes? Or do you think there's inspiring visions that could push us past this ugliness?
>>
seems to describe the black youth and /pol/tards alike
>>
>>2588034
>Will it require a massive crisis to discredit these memes?
No, it would be enough for corporate CEO's to stop hoarding billions of dollars that they get thru tax havens and backdoor contracts with the gov't. If those hundreds of billions of dollars were circulating thru the economy and not being held motionless in swiss banks then regular plebs wouldn't be so desperate to "get mine" and might pursue slightly less destructive life projects
>>
>>2588057

Do you think this is more an issue of legal loopholes that need to be closed, or there isn't a will to prosecute?
>>
>>2588073
There will always be loopholes in any system, that's the nature of 'loopholes,' so I'm skeptical of bandaid legislation to get rid of the obvious ones, because people will just find new loopholes. Prosecution too, when it happens, is sort of a scapegoat mechanism. Every so often a guy like Madoff goes to prison but that obviously doesn't fix the system. Rather than programmatic solutions, my opinion is that the culture needs a basic shift in perspective. I'm probably being naive, but I think eventually corporations will realize it's in their best interest to not relentlessly screw their customers.
>>
>>2588118

My concern is whether the West is inherently barbarian this is somehow beyond us, because of the veneration of these "sharks" in our culture.
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.