[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is anyone aware if there's any historical analogues to China

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 2

File: Artificial Island.jpg (62KB, 569x398px) Image search: [Google]
Artificial Island.jpg
62KB, 569x398px
Is anyone aware if there's any historical analogues to China constructing artificial islands to reinforce a territorial claim? It need not be as drastic as constructing an entire island, but just a real unorthodox measure used in some kind of territorial dispute or to give legitimacy to a claim (an example might be the case of the Philippines running a landing ship aground in the Spratly's, but I was curious if there was anything further back in history).
>>
>>2587203

Most of the Netherlands is built on reclaimed land.
>>
>>2587238
I meant things that are a bit more antagonistic, used in a dispute of some kind.
>>
File: Norman Cavalry.jpg (204KB, 1000x664px) Image search: [Google]
Norman Cavalry.jpg
204KB, 1000x664px
>>2587203
Yeah: Castles.

A lot of people think Castles are defensive, but they can be used for offensive strategic purposes. Just look at the orgy of castle building Normans did in Conquest-Period England, to extend their reach on Saxon lords whose loyalties were questionable.

But in it's own context, the Spratlys Artificial Island bases are one heck of a thinking-out-of-the-box moment for China.
>Argue with neighbors over those islands for 60 years already.
>Can't expand since attacking other parties is bad press while attacking the weakest party (the Philippines) will incur the wrath of its powerful US ally.
>Realize that the whole area is one big shallow water.
>There is literally no precedent for artificial Islands.
>Do the mad thing and piss off Sea Mexicans and Gooks.
>They can't do nothing.
>>
>>2587308
Interesting, I'd always thought of castles as entirely defensive. The Philippines were the original absolute madmen though, with their hijinks running the Sierra Madre aground.

To give context to this question, I'm writing a real short article on the topic, and was looking for crazy out of the box approaches - as in building an island or running a ship aground. I guess you could say the Berlin wall is an example, but was kinda hoping history might have seen some zanier approaches.
>>
>>2587392
Kind of related, during Alexander the great's campaign against the Persians he had to siege the city of Tyre which had a strategic base on the sea. He decided to build a causeway across the water so his ground troops could attack it.
>>
>>2587308
>extend their reach on Saxon lords
pretty sure they replaced like 99% of the saxon aristocracy
>>
>>2587203
basically look at anywhere where land is being sold
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.