[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hanging Gardens of Babylon REVEALED

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 4

File: hanging.jpg (143KB, 533x377px) Image search: [Google]
hanging.jpg
143KB, 533x377px
>The jihadis blew up a hilltop mosque in Nineveh, near Mosul in Iraq, believed to be the resting place of the prophet Jonah.

Let's talk about the hanging Gardens of Babylon, what was its purpose in the first place?

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/latest-news/596416/hanging-gardens-babylon-site-found-nineveh-iraq-mosul-isis
>>
Moral of the story: we need to blow up more mosques.
>>
File: smugbe.jpg (134KB, 960x960px) Image search: [Google]
smugbe.jpg
134KB, 960x960px
>>2581225
I doubt you want that considering most old mosqs are ancient Pagan temples or Christian churches that have been converted by placing minarets around them and adding Arabic calligraphy.

I mean do you honestly believe Jonah was buried under one?
>>
>>2581162
Is this for rael?
>>
>>2581162
who cares about some dusty old bones?
>>
>>2581343
why do you like history
>>
File: 1487187211256.png (272KB, 401x321px) Image search: [Google]
1487187211256.png
272KB, 401x321px
That what you get for naming yourselves after Sumerian goddess.
>>
>>2581343
No one's talking 'bout your dick, fag
>>
>>2581350
History is quite amusing. I guarantee that in 100 years at the most, WW2 and everything relating to it will be knee slap-tier.
>>
>>2581352
Isis was egyptian, you utter fucking pleb.

Tripping on the offchance anyone cares, answering general mesopotamian questions. I'm that one guy who studied sumerian on here (though there's one other guy I met recently who majored in biblical studies and knows his shit).
>>
>>2581370
Can you recommend a freshman some reads, anon?
>>
>>2581373
Oh, what are you studying?

I'll give you a selection from my undergrad dissertation-
Algaze, G. 1993. The Uruk World System. Chicago.
Cooper, J. 1983b. Reconstructing History from Ancient Sources: The Lagash-Umma Border Conflict. Malibu.
Jacobsen, T. 1970. Towards the Image of Tammuz and Other Essays on Mesopotamian History and Culture. Cambridge.
Jacobsen, T. 1987. The Harps that Once-: Sumerian Poetry in Translation. London.
Leick, G. 2002. Mesopotamia: The Invention of the City. London.
Matthews, R. 1993. Cities, Seals and Writing: Archaic Seal Inscriptions from Jemdat Nasr and Ur. Berlin.
Poo, M. 2005. Enemies of Civilisation: Attitudes towards foreigners in Ancient Mesopotamia, Egypt and China. Albany.
Van De Mieroop, M. 1997. The Ancient Mesopotamian City, Oxford.
Van De Mieroop, M. 1999. Cuneiform Texts and the Writing of History. Padstow.
Weiss, H. (ed) 1986. The Origins of Cities in Dry-farming Syria and Mesopotamia in the Third Millenium B.C. Guilford.
>>
>>2581386
Of that list, Leick is probably the most accessible, then Mieroop, then Algaze for the early period, then Jacobsen.

I think you can get most of those relatively easily - some of the books of inscriptions I studied were worth several thousand.
>>
>>2581386
History in niggertown uni. Entering my second term this weekend, enjoying the course past the cinderblock of marxism that the professors seem to love even more so than history itself. Thanks for the reads, anon, saved
>>
>>2581401
No worries. What sort of narrative are they attempting to push down your throat?

We briefly studied marxist history as part of our historiography seminars, but it more the pure theory - ie. historical events are predicated more by economic/social events than by the Great Men of Carlyle - which, while interesting, is only useful when you have a synthesis of the two;- the right man at the right time.

As you're doing pure history, two more suggestions - Churchill's The History of English Speaking Peoples and Carlyle's history of the french revolution. Just stylistically, they will transform your ability at writing essays. I was taught by an old oxford academic who advised I read the former even though it was unrelated to my dissertation, and it helped immensely.
>>
>>2581288
>I doubt you want that considering most old mosqs are ancient Pagan temples or Christian churches that have been converted
Pretty much all religions did/do that
>>
>>2581343
DUSTY OLD BONES FULL OF GREEN DUST
>>
>>2581421
I'm assuming you're either english or murican.
Briefly is not at all the case here.
There is no pure history in Brazillian higher education, private or not. It's social sciences and Historical materialism, nothing else.

The closest we get from something that could be described as 'pure history' are electives, which do tend to be p good.

>historiography seminars
best and most diverse course in the entire semester, fell in love with it

Gr8 reads again, anon, you giving me quite a list here
>>
>>2581370
How do sumerian sounds like?
>>
>>2581474
i'd bet in proto-hebraic + lots of fonems
>>
>>2581498
Sumerian isn't a Semitic language
>>
>>2581626
shit, i think i got the mixed up with the akkadians then
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.