[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What similarities exist between Buddhism and Christianity?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 77
Thread images: 10

File: Christ and Buddha.jpg (72KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
Christ and Buddha.jpg
72KB, 400x400px
What similarities exist between Buddhism and Christianity?
>>
>>2578295
They're both retarded abominations built on cannibalizing holy texts from earlier religions with enormously different systems of belief.
>>
>>2578295
Charismatic leaders with many followers.

Nothing via doctrine.
>>
>>2578302
Christianity has it's own text known as the New Testament. Your assertion could be made for any system. Judaism came from a polytheistic Near Eastern cult and Hinduism as we know it is younger than Buddhism.
>>
>>2578308
Both are based on salvation or sort.

One tells you to be lamp unto yourself. Other tells you to worship God/Jesus/Holly spirit/Mary
>>
>>2578318
True, but OP asked for similarities between those two particular religions, not between all religious generally.
>>
>>2578295
pacifism
clerical celibacy
monasticism
>>
File: 1489121834420.jpg (54KB, 614x572px) Image search: [Google]
1489121834420.jpg
54KB, 614x572px
>Jesus doesn't appear in attested writing until 30-60 years after his death
>He must be fake

>Buddha isn't attested until 400 years after his death
>No one cares
>>
>>2578336
Interesting. I heard that when the Spaniards first saw how similar Buddhist mass (for lack of a better word) was to Catholic Christian mass they thought it was some sort of demonic parody.
>>
>>2578324
There's no salvation in Buddhism; there's only "enlightenment". There's no sense that you're a lost sinner, only that you experience negative emotions and want them to stop.
>>
This thread will have 200+ replies
>>
>>2578318
Hinduism "as we know it" isnt a thing. All forms of hinduism that are actually practiced predate buddhism by a long shot. Also
>what is shaivism.
>>
>>2578366
I've heard the opposite. That Buddhism is older than organized Hinduism
>>
Both are moderate versions of the severe asceticism that was common at the time.

Jesus was this to the school of John the Baptist, and Buddha was this to the Jains.
>>
>>2578350
Being trapped in samsara is similar to being a lost sinner. Meditation and enlightenment to free yourself from it.

Similar, not same.
>>
>>2578373
Organized hinduism isnt a thing. Its just the british trying to make sense of a nation not unified under one religion, so they thought that it is just a complex one reigion, while in fact it was just thousand of reigions spread across a region.

Hinduism ks a blanket tern for a few hundred if not thousand little belief systems. "Organized hinduism" is more modern though, maybe a century or two old. They simply took the larger belief systtems of the few hundred/thousand and baged their core text into one bog cannon which makes about 0 sense theologicaly if you read it as such but "listen to what the brahmin says goy ;^)"
>>
Jesus was actually heavily influenced by Buddhist philosophy. It is well known that Buddhist scholars west into the Levant, throughout the Hellenistic world, and most importantly to Egypt where Jesus learned a great many diverse teachings while growing up, in exile. Buddhist teachings are what influenced both his own message and even more obviously his teacher/disciple style of ministry/practice. If you compare what Jesus taught compared to the typical ideology of the typical Mediterranean society, it's about as enlightened as could be expected from whatever limited but substantive contact Jesus had with Buddhism.

Of course the debate about weather there even was a Jesus is a separate issue, or a Buddha for that matter. Do we invent our hero's and saviors?

But of course there are those who suppose that of course we can trust that a bunch of barely literate (((disciples))) were able to accurately remember and record what thier teacher said 30-50 years after the fact. And that obviously flawless record should be the basis of our judgement of Jesus teachings and possible influence.

I think if you read between the lines and imagine that John Paul George and Ringo didn't remember everything perfectly, or even understand what they were hearing, when they heard it the first time, it's possible Jesus was half adding Buddhism to a bunch of (((money changers))) who would be the least people on earth to accept it.
>>
>>2578415
>Reddit emoji
>admits he was wrong
Kek
>>
explaining the behavior to be had for salvation from this corrupt world of flesh
>>
>>2578423
I did not admit i was wrong. Organized hinduism isnt a thing as its practiced by a tiny minority of hindus. Hinduism is not organized hinduism. Hinduism is an umbrella term for any belief system coming from india that is not buddhism.
>>
>>2578463
So Jainism is Hinduism in your mind?
>>
>>2578468
Ok with the exception of buddhism jainism and sikhism. Happy?
>>
>>2578422
>well known
Source?
>>
>>2578478
That you've proved your own ignorance? Yes.
>>
>>2578488
Pali scripts, Gnostic scripts, ancient runes', and your mother last night in bed.
>>
>>2578340

>what is the First Buddhist Council
>>
>>2578525
None of those give hard evidence and are just suggestive speculation.
>>
>>2578422
By the time Jesus was 12 (way earlier even) he went back to Judea. You know that, right?
>>
>>2578593
Oh, you can ask your mother, I gave her the "hard evidence"
>>
>>2578415

no it is in fact one religion. All religions have multiple sects and denominations. All hindus have the same sacred texts and pantheon. They are all part of the same religious tradition
>>
>>2578415

what core text are you referring to?
>>
>>2578463

define what you mean by organised hinduism, what are you refering too. And sikhism and jainism are not buddhism but they are not hindu
>>
>>2578295
Maybe some Buddhists and eastern influences transferred to Christianity through Manichaean influence.

https://youtu.be/4OP4F5aPn-g
https://youtu.be/lJWT46cVRuM
>>
Siddhartha broke away from Hinduism. Christ broke away from Judaism.
>>
>>2579478
Hinduism didn't exist in the 5th century BC.
>>
>>2578295
Strikingly similar iconic hand gestures.
>>
>>2578422
WE
>>
>>2579483
Hinduism existed in 2500 BC.
>>
>>2579596
>he fell for the meme
wew. Some components which would become Hinduism existed. Hinduism itself didn't exist.
>>
>>2579584
They both are commonly portrayed with a sun disk around them as well.
>>
>>2578340
The Buddha's message is more important than the Buddha himself, so many followers don't sweat about the historical Buddha. Christ, however, IS the message of Christianity, and his existence is pinnacle to a Christian's belief system.
>>
File: shankaracharya.jpg (267KB, 480x630px) Image search: [Google]
shankaracharya.jpg
267KB, 480x630px
>>2578302
>>2578366

Buddhism cannibalized nothing from Hinduism, in fact it's the other way around.

Hinduism long predated Buddhism but 90% of the stuff in Hinduism that is similar to Buddhism was actually first found in Buddhism and then was adopted from it by Hindus.

Circa 300-500 BC Hinduism largely just consisted of a priestly caste that would study the Vedic texts and practice rituals.

It wasn't until Buddhism came along and temporarily eclipsed Hinduism in popularity that Hinduism eventually adopted a bunch of stuff from it and claimed Buddha as an avatar of Vishnu or whoever.

The focus in Hinduism on reincarnation/rebirth, meditation, on attachment being the source of suffering, on certain ascetic/austere practices etc all came from Buddhism. Some of them were featured in Hinduism to a very minor extent beforehand but contact with Buddhism still massively changed Hinduism.
>>
None.

Buddhism is a satanic pantheistic religion.

Christ is the Way, Truth and the Life.
>>
>>2580007
>Allah is the Way, Truth and the Life.
FTFY don't slip up again pls
A salami alicum
>>
>>2580007

Christianity is just a break-away sect of Judaism, which is largely just plagiarized from Zoroastrianism anyway
>>
>>2580257
>i have never read the bible: the post
>>
>>2580274
>Believe me dude, you're gonna win every internet argument if you convert. You can just pull some random ass quote from the bible and say some shit about the universe
>Wa la you are instantly right

Generally speaking, are all these christfags people who have been christian their whole lives, and have taken their faith to the shitposting level, or has 4chan/internet actually converted impressionable kids? I can distinctly remember there not being this much religious shit 3 or 4 years ago.
>>
>>2580291
Shut up idiot.
>>
>>2580296
You only fuel my fire baby
>>
They dont Stone woman to death.
>>
Abrahamic religions are garbage and Hinduism and Buddhism are both objectively superior.
>>
>>2580304
Christianity is the truth and Hinduism/Buddhism are garbage.
>>
>>2580308
Hinduism/Buddhism are the truth and Christianity is garbage
>>
>>2580310
Christianity is the truth and your luciferian religion is garbage.

Man cannot become gods, sorry to burst your bubble Satan.
>>
>>2580274

The Jews adopted almost all the major tenets of their religion from Zoroastrianism after the Zoro Persians freed them from enslavement in Babylon. These were then passed on to Christianity

Forget the fan-faction and just stick with the original my dude
>>
>>2580321
Hinduism/Buddhism are the truth and your devilish religion is garbage.

Man cannot also be god, sorry to burst your bubble Kali
>>
>>2580347
>zoroastrians stole from jews, lets pretend its the other way around, that should get me some (you)s hehehe

(You)
>>
>>2580352

>Most scholars, Jewish as well as non-Jewish, are of the opinion that Judaism was strongly influenced by Zoroastrianism in views relating to angelology and demonology, and probably also in the doctrine of the resurrection, as well as in eschatological ideas in general

http://www.jewishencyclopedia.com/articles/15283-zoroastrianism

>Those who might doubt how Persian imperial policy so decisively shaped what we know as Judaism should reflect on the remarkable and first ever declaration of belief in one, universal God by the biblical writer known as "Second Isaiah" during this period. Indeed Isaiah describes King Cyrus as a "Messiah" and the chosen instrument of Yahweh. Interestingly there is evidence that the Persian imperial policy towards the religion of their subject peoples – to allow the traditional name of their gods to be retained but to revise the religions themselves in the image of Zoroastrianism – was also applied in Babylon and Egypt as well as Palestine.

>Some claim that a belief in monotheism in Judea developed a little before the Babylonian conquest and exile. But although there is evidence for a centralisation of the different Canaanite-style cults into the worship of Yahweh in the capital – Jerusalem – over this period the most which can be said was that a form of monolatry, a belief in one God for a particular people had emerged.

>The Persian influence on Judaism was powerful and long lasting. Certainly the profound belief in the end of days exhibited by the Dead Sea Scroll communities in the immediately pre-Christian era and indeed the images employed by the Christian evangelist, John, in his Apocalypse, display a clear continuity of influence.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/belief/2010/jul/13/abrahamic-religion-zoroastrian-judaism
>>
>>2580398
Atheist pseudo-history.
>>
File: trashman.jpg (37KB, 352x450px) Image search: [Google]
trashman.jpg
37KB, 352x450px
>>2580398
>le "jews were canaanites" myth
Aaaaaand into the trash it goes.

>>2580411
says. Nothing but garbage pseudo history. Care to name these """""scholars""""?

because there is no lack of scholars who think your pseudo-history is bullshit. nothing but desperate attempts to discredit the bible.
>>
>>2580411

>jewishencyclopedia.com
>atheist pseudo-history

blatant same-fagging also
>>
>>2580291
I'm almost completely sure the zealous Christfags are a product of /pol/ because being an atheist stopped being edgy in like 2009. Even lax Christians that got exposed to the right wing side of memery are now justifying Christianity with le funny "fedora" memes whenever somebody even slightly questions the Bible.
>>
File: 1481733630338.png (598KB, 1095x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1481733630338.png
598KB, 1095x1080px
>>2580416
sure: Lester Grabbe and Israel Finkelstein. care to share one of your scholars who thinks Jews weren't Canaanites? I doubt you'll find many, as this is fairly mainstream in biblical studies. the very fact that you either are ignoring this or are simply ignorant of it really lowers your credibility.
>>
>>2580778
They are. The christfags didn't start appearing until after /pol/ exploded in population. 4chan was populated with (at least vocally) with atheists/agnostics who openly mocked Evangelicals during the final years of the bush presidency/early Obama years. The same goes for all of the constant political shit on ALL of the boards. It never bled through to every board like it does now aside from the occasional off topic thread.

It really is bizarre to see the influx of fundamentalists here. I mean I'm sure they existed here then, but they were never vocal until the right wing reactionaries became more commonplace. That one anti-evolution spammer is truly mindboggling. I mean I get the shitposters, but that guy is a complete autist.
>>
>>2580007
>buddhism is satanic

I don't even
>>
>>2580291
The general 4chan userbase is getting older and consequently more interested in and comfortable with the religion they grew up with.
>>
>>2580924
This is bullshit and you know it. The flood of christians coincided with the skyrocketing population of /pol/. Which, coincidentally was the same time that retarded GG shit and the fappening happened.
>>
File: myth.jpg (23KB, 300x237px) Image search: [Google]
myth.jpg
23KB, 300x237px
>>2580875
Evolution is an unscientific myth that has been destroyed and obliterated many times.

I'm sorry I don't believe in fantasies like you do.
>>
>>2580924
I did not grow up Christianity. I grew up in an atheistic household.

I accepted Jesus as my lord and savior at the age of 22. Not only do I now know the origins and purpose of mankind, I also know God loves me.

God loves you as well, but He won't force you to love him back. Heaven or hell, it's up to you.
>>
File: 1453866511587.jpg (9KB, 184x184px) Image search: [Google]
1453866511587.jpg
9KB, 184x184px
>>2580947
Right on schedule. You have to use a bot, there's no way you're on this board that often.
>>
>>2580947

>this guy again

get ready for the flood of infographics lads
>>
File: Evolutionism.jpg (67KB, 316x247px) Image search: [Google]
Evolutionism.jpg
67KB, 316x247px
>>2580956
>>2580957
t. buttblasted darwin cultists
>>
>>2580961
I'm not mad, it's honestly entertaining in a way to see someone that dedicated to ridiculous mission. It seriously puts the autism of /a/ and /jp/ waifufags to shame.
>>
>>2580961

this isn't a thread about evolution. please remain on topic or start a new thread on /sci/
>>
>>2578422
Jesus was not influenced by anyone, he was God and spoke only absolute truth.
>>
File: nod.gif (2MB, 235x240px) Image search: [Google]
nod.gif
2MB, 235x240px
>>2580007
Good post
>>
It's the same thing, the Christians just fucked it up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocfSHE0N3a4
Thread posts: 77
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.