[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Just who were the Picts? Is it true they lived in Northern Ireland?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 6

File: download (9).png (247KB, 380x380px) Image search: [Google]
download (9).png
247KB, 380x380px
Just who were the Picts? Is it true they lived in Northern Ireland?
>>
File: pict.png (68KB, 354x214px) Image search: [Google]
pict.png
68KB, 354x214px
Facial reconstruction done of a Pictish man from the Scottish Highlands. I've been beginning to notice that the more intelligent people I meet here (NI) have features similar to this, especially the nose rather than the usual Iberian one
>>
>Is it true they lived in Northern Ireland?
No, that's a thoroughly debunked theory cooked up by a man called Ian Adamson.

He had no training in historiography when he came up with this theory and his only academic qualification is in medicine. It'd be like me, as a historian, writing a book about liver disease while ignoring all consensus by doctors on liver disease.

In recent theories he has tried to backtrack, saying he knew the theory was bullshit all along but he just made it up to bring the people of Northern Ireland together through inventing a common heritage.
>>
>>2577599
>recent theories
ack. Recent years, I'm tired.

Anyway as for the question
>Just who were the Picts
>>
File: pictsmcbride.jpg (309KB, 1500x1118px) Image search: [Google]
pictsmcbride.jpg
309KB, 1500x1118px
>>2577603
We don't know an awful lot about them but it's a reasonable assumption to make that they were a Brythonic Celtic group of people who were heavily influenced by Gaelic culture and eventually assimilated into it.
>>
File: 1490384845750.jpg (341KB, 2622x2463px) Image search: [Google]
1490384845750.jpg
341KB, 2622x2463px
>>2577562
>mfw "people" on this board go out and do armchair anthropology """studies""" by staring hard at people's noses like a sperg and making judgements of their character henceforth

my sides, stay classy /his/
>>
>>2577548
>Is it true they lived in Northern Ireland?

The Cruithni of northern Ireland are probably unrelated the to the Cruithni of Pictland: "Cruithni" simply means "British Celt", suggesting that the northern Irish Cruithni originally came from Britain (although they all seem to have fully Irish names, so possibly they came BACK to Ireland, from one the Irish colonies on the mainland).
>>
>>2577608
Are you also implying that phrenology isn't a valid science? Preposterous.
>>
>>2577608
>>2577623
>two mongs strawman and jerk off eachother

very greek of you
>>
File: kang.png (62KB, 140x207px) Image search: [Google]
kang.png
62KB, 140x207px
>>2577633
>m-m-muh strawman

Do you or do you not go out and stare at people's noses? Be honest, anon. We won't judge (well, I won't at least lel).
>>
>>2577637

when I see mouthbreathers I jeer and pelt them with small pebbles
>>
File: 1487972476318.png (670KB, 960x749px) Image search: [Google]
1487972476318.png
670KB, 960x749px
>>2577638
Why would you pelt yourself with pebbles, anon?
>>
So are Picts Celtic or not?
>>
>>2577548
No, the Picts from Scotland and closely related to the Welsh.

They got cucked by people from Northern Ireland in the early middle ages.
>>
>>2577647

Yes, but probably P-Celtic rather than Q-Cetic.
>>
>>2577647
Most likely yeah
>>
>>2577599
I read a description of them saying ''The physical appearance of the Picts is thought to persist in the dark hair, pale skin, light eyes, "lantern jaws" and "long heads" of many of the Ulsterfolk.'' My family have every one of these features prominently and are from Ulster which is what got me wondering. Also, how would you explain shit like Newgrange, which is in the North of Ireland, features Pictish art and is pre-Celtic?
>>
>>2577713
Might be a result of the latter 17th c. Scottish colonization of Ulster.
>>
>>2577795
Newgrange is from the fourth millenium BC lmao
>>
>>2577795
Just realized you might be talking about our features. None of my family are Protestants or even Anglo-Irish so I doubt that
>>
>>2577713
There hasn't been any such thing as Pictish people for a thousand years, they got Gael'd out of existence.
>''The physical appearance of the Picts is thought to persist in the dark hair, pale skin, light eyes, "lantern jaws" and "long heads" of many of the Ulsterfolk.''
This is literally a quote from a white nationalist blog. None of this has any basis in history. Irish people and Highland Scottish people look more or less the same.
>Newgrange, which is in the North of Ireland, features Pictish art and is pre-Celtic?
Newgrange has Pictish art? The fuck are you smoking my guy. It predates the Picts by thousands of years.
>>
>>2577548
Northern Ireland doesn't and didn't exist
>>
>>2577713
>appearance of the Picts is thought to persist in the dark hair, pale skin, light eyes, "lantern jaws" and "long heads" of many of the Ulsterfolk.''
I Googled this out of curiosity and the only source for it is the "Western Voices World News", which looks like a white nationalist news site

Try reading a history book instead
>>
>>2577993
To say that would be to imply that every pict in their kingdoms was genocided and had their lands colonized by Scoti, Britons, and Angles.

It's more likely they were absorbed into the rest of the Alba.
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.