[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Poland and Austrian Nationalism

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 4

File: Austria_Hungary_ethnic.svg.png (60KB, 250x193px) Image search: [Google]
Austria_Hungary_ethnic.svg.png
60KB, 250x193px
I need help on a project about Nationalism in Poland and Austria in the 1800's. Any information/ sources would be greatly appreciated as I have to do a poster and write an essay.
>>
>>2574995
Have you tried >>>/his/ yet?
>>
>>2574995
Not doing your homework faggot
>>
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Austro-Hungarian_Compromise_of_1867
>>
>>2574995
The Austrians were rather tolerant toward the Poles, opposed to the Prussians who tended to be rather opposed to Polish nationalism, and the Russians who essentially were trying to eradicate Polish culture outright. Consequentially, Galicia became a stronghold for Polish nationalists fleeing oppression in Prussia and Russia, most notably Jozef Pilsudski, who would go on to become the principal figure in the Polish independent movement.

Pilsudski established several "Rifle Clubs" in Austria during the late 1890s, which were essentially the beginnings of the Polish Army. Pilsudski insisted to be refereed to as the First Marshal, and the clubs were set up as military training facilities, with recruits given "official" ranks and, in theory, equipment. Recruits hold come to the clubs on weekends and evenings to be trained in basic drill techniques, although the supply situation meant the vast majority had no actual uniforms or arms to practice with. Pilsudski also instituted an officer training program.

Pilsudski and his rifle clubs, though more or less openly hostile to Russia, were friendly with the Austrian authorities, to the extent that Polish corpsmen from the clubs were invited to march in holiday parades, and even received a small amount of funding from the Austrian crown.

When the Great War broke out, Pilsudki attempted to stage a mass Polish uprising using the structure he had set in place here; this was unsuccessful, however, and the Poles generally served in the regular army units of the countries they were part of, whether in Austria, Prussia, or Russia. By the end of the war, though, Pilsudski was able to take charge of the chaos in Eastern Europe, and through this base was able to emerge as the clear leader of the Polish people, and was effectively handed total control over Poland by 1918.

This leaves out a ton, though, like, a TON. This book goes into great detail.

If you have any questions, I've studied this period a lot, so go ahead.
>>
>>2574995
There were multiple fronts of nationalism in the Austro-Hungarian empire.
Italians in southwest (Lombardo-Venetia, Istria, south Tirol)
Panslavists (Yugoslavians, Czechoslovakians), movements opposed to panslavists seeking independence of their country alone
Hungarian, Romanian, Polish nationalists, Ukrainian nationalists and so on.
And also the Germans who would want to mantain their widespread Empire, especially where they were a minority.
Do you just need information about Polish nationalism in Poland or would any other also help?
>>
File: 1488658250124.jpg (215KB, 748x823px) Image search: [Google]
1488658250124.jpg
215KB, 748x823px
>>2575099
The Italians resided predominantly in Trentino, rather than Südtirol, although all were part of the county of Tirol. Südtirol still has a majority German speaking population
>>
>>2575123
When I reffered to Südtirol I meant the part of Tirol Italians claim to themselves, which includes Bozen. Trentino is traditionally considered part of Südtirol.
>>
>>2574995
galicia was basically backwater farmland and i dont think the poles there even considered themselves polish if you went up to them and asked them what they were. They'd just go 'catholic'.

What class are you taking and where that this matters? I dont think a single person in the US gives a shit or even knows Austria had an empire.

It was probably the weakest nationalist group of the lot all things considered. Just too poor and life was too hard there to spend much time worrying about stuff that didn't really matter to you.

My source is from "the war that ended peace' and 'paris 1919' by margaret macmillian.

She goes over the history of the area and major players in the peace settlement. She tends to be biased against germans.

Austrian nationalism isn't really a thing so much. It was for like 2 days during the red white red campaign in Austria in 38. But most Germans in austria viewed themselves as the natural rulers of the lesser races including the poles. They actively pushed to keep power in the hands of Germans and Hungarians in the congress.

I suppose Mein Kampf is actually pretty good on pre-war austrian nationalist sentiment. Though HItler never saw himself as 'austrian' so much as German in austria, which was a part of Greater Germany.

The first couple of chapters in MK are dedicated to analysis of German nationalism in the AH empire. I believe he starts it around 1870 and moves to the war?
>>
>>2575154
It's a world civilizations class.
>>
>>2575070
$200+ on amazon :/
>>
>>2575154
there was never a real Austrian nationalism until after WW2.
The votes for the Anschluss in 1921 show this, when 99% of the Austrian population in Salzburg and Tirol voted for Germany.
>>
>>2574995

Most Poles lived in the crown land of Galicia. They made up about 60% of the population (ca. 50% catholic Poles and 10% Jewish Poles), the other 40% were Ruthenians. There were some 1-2% Germans who were rather influental at the end of the 18th century and the beginning of the 19th century, many important posts were occupied by them; many of them were assimilated by Poles through intermarriage or emigrated, so their importance declined. In the course of the events of 1866, Poles became the dominant group of the crown land: Polish (instead of the previous German) became the main language of the local administration and institutions of higher learning such as the university of Lemberg/Lvov. The diet of Galicia was dominated by Polish land owners, whereas the poor and thus the Ruthenian peasant class was underrepresented. Polish vs Ruthenian was basically the main national conflict in Galicia.

http://ww1.habsburger.net/en/chapters/compromise-vienna-polish-autonomy-galicia

In 1914, there was a compromise that gave the Ruthenians more rights.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4959110/ -> see the sectin on Galicia
>>
>>2574995
do i get a slice of the mark you get?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polish%E2%80%93Lithuanian_Commonwealth

Polish–Lithuanian Commonwealth
Kingdom
The Polish–Lithuanian Commonwealth, formally the Kingdom of Poland and the Grand Duchy of Lithuania, after 1791 the Commonwealth of Poland, was a dualistic state, a bi-confederation, of Poland and ... Wikipedia
Founded: 1569
Area: 815,000 km2
Date dissolved: 1795
Historical era: Early modern period
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.