[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Let's talk about the Shaolin. what weapons did they use?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 5

File: 3mLydMU.jpg (40KB, 576x576px) Image search: [Google]
3mLydMU.jpg
40KB, 576x576px
Let's talk about the Shaolin.

what weapons did they use?
>>
ILL LET YOU TRY MY WU TANG STYLE

WU IS THE WAY
TANG IS THE SLANG
>>
Ask your mother, I hear she hangs out behind the Shaolin temple to get her lady parts punched.
>>
>>2572849
>>
>>2572835
When they were actually fighting? probably mostly swords and spears like everything else.

Chinese martial arts, more than most others, have what I like to call "dueling weapons" These weapons would be nearly useless on a battlefield, but against someone in a duel, especially someone who has never seen it before, it would be very hard to counter.

There are many styles of shaolin, most not attached to any religious institution. Shaolin is itself only a small part of the Chinese martial art scene, and probably not the most respected or prominent today.
>>
Mostly wood staffs I think. Although I remember reading about some cool swords that could hook together.
>>
>>2572835
the mind is the greatest weapon
>>
>>2572835
Liquid swords
>>
>>2572835
disinformation.
>>
>>2573372
WU
>>
>>2572835
http://greatmingmilitary.blogspot.com/2015/12/the-ghost-faced-warrior-monks-of.html
>>
>>2572835
long weapons (monks spade), short weapons (daggers), armor (shield), soft weapons (rope dart), unusual weapons (long bench) farming tools (hoe), everyday items (fan) and double weapons (sai). not sure about projectiles..
>>2573019
twin hooks
>>
>>2573404
TANG
>>
File: wako_zukan.jpg (291KB, 1600x448px) Image search: [Google]
wako_zukan.jpg
291KB, 1600x448px
>>2573407
What this guy linked
>>
>>2573004
Modern martial arts is more about dueling and for show compared to combat martial arts back then. Modern Chinese martial arts and ancient Chinese martial arts used in combat are quite different.
>>
File: Master-Sam-Chin-e1450718676597.jpg (124KB, 900x600px) Image search: [Google]
Master-Sam-Chin-e1450718676597.jpg
124KB, 900x600px
>>2574445
The fact is most martial arts were created around a one on one encounter. Most military "arts" were pure drill.

As for the state of Chinese martial arts the majority have most certainly either been "contaminated" by modernisms or on the other end become forms of cultural preservation, like a stuffed lion in the museum. But there are enough serious practitioners of old lineages that we can say a lot about how CMA was in its prime
>>
Here you all go.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWKKN_mviO8

Probably the best martial arts film out there (low quality is horrendous) but this clip shows off each legendary weapon of china, it's counter and how to use them.

Extremely well done.

>>2573004
This.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lei_tai
>>
File: Mandarin Duck.jpg (35KB, 600x464px) Image search: [Google]
Mandarin Duck.jpg
35KB, 600x464px
>>2572835
Anything. Probably guns even.

Chinese civilians can own weapons because they're supposed to help the Empra's law enforcement police their vast empire, which is mostly rural land. As such villages form militias and armed posses.

Monasteries of various religons tend to be nice targets for bandits and so they too own weapons. Unlike peasants, all that time between meditating was used for paramilitary drills, and so monks in China emerged as potent paramilitary forces.

And the Shaolin were famous for their role as part of Qi Jiguang's militia army during the Pirate Wars of the 1500s.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.