[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Roman History

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: Arch_of_titus_2.jpg (661KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
Arch_of_titus_2.jpg
661KB, 1600x1200px
Whenever I am reading about Roman history I always try to draw lessons from Rome's demise and apply it to the modern day. Circumstances were different, but I believe it is very easy to see that with every great civilization decadence and the lack of healthy civic engagement cause moral rot from within.

I would also say that the rise of Christianity plays a massive role in dampening Rome's imperial ambitions and therefore it always put the Empire (Especially Byzantium) on the defensive.

What do you believe are the greatest influences of destruction that brought down the Romans?
>>
probably the disintegration of the republic and the political legitimacy of the ruling establishment replaced with a system that incentivized profligate warlords within the empire to wage civil war for their own gain.
>>
"Obviously the fall of Rome was caused by [thinly veiled reference to present day attitudes and policies of my ideological enemies]!" - every jackass pseudo-historian since the early middle ages.
>>
>>2571140
>I would also say that the rise of Christianity plays a massive role in dampening Rome's imperial ambitions and therefore it always put the Empire (Especially Byzantium) on the defensive.
Rome had not sought an expansive war since the days of Trajan. Them being christfags did not change their attitudes to bellum iustum
>>
>>2571494
This. So much fucking this.
>>
>>2571140
Lead pipes
>>
Rome became too civilized.
>>
>>2571140
>decadence
>moral rot
Lol no, not if you mean open sex and hedonism. That was highest in Rome at its peak, and probably lowest at its decline.

What you really mean in the patriotic xenophobic fighting and competitive spirit of Roman leaders. That is what made the republic and empire great.

Same thing during the British empire.

Whenever you have a high level of internal rivalry BUT with a consistent level of patriotism, you get a successful nation.
>>
>>2571140
>I would also say that the rise of Christianity plays a massive role in dampening Rome's imperial ambitions and therefore it always put the Empire (Especially Byzantium) on the defensive.

I dont even like organized religion but this is bullshit.

Rome was built as many other empires before and after it on conquest and looting. All the kingdoms and empires around the Mediterrean were subjugated and it founded an empire. The Colosseum for example was paid for with the sacking of the Temple in Jerusalem.

However at their height they had no where else to exploit. The South had an impassable desert, the north had a bunch of germans with no real value to fight and loot and to the east, the cities are too far and spread out to take and hold before being overwhelmed by eastern counter attack.

This would be fine if Rome had a healthy domestic society, tax base and meritocracy in civil society...

But it didnt. The tax collection process was horribly stupid, corruption was rife in the senate and the emperors either brilliant and backstabbed or conniving and backstabbing themselves. The city of rome itself was a welfare state.
>>
>>2571140
>>2571915
I never understood the degeneracy killed Rome meme. By the time it fell it has long been Christian and Christian church stomped out and outlawed all kinds of degeneracy. Pointing to shit like Nero or Elagabalus that happened literally centuries before the fall is absurd.
>>
>>2571942
Blame pol fags.
>>
>>2571942
Christian retards with no understanding of history put together that Rome = rampant sexy times and Rome = collapsed so sexy times must = collapse
>>
>>2571140
The biggest issue was lack of clear succession.

Power came from the army and t he army is loyal to its paymaster (the general).
Army defeats local barbarians?
Troops hail the general Imperator and they go off to try and become Emperor
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.