[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How and why did the Latin language die out?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 4

File: Latin.jpg (37KB, 550x283px) Image search: [Google]
Latin.jpg
37KB, 550x283px
How and why did the Latin language die out?
>>
File: chokladpudding.jpg (13KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
chokladpudding.jpg
13KB, 480x360px
>pointless one-question-threads answerable by a simple google search

What the fuck is happening? Is Reddit undergoing maintenance or something?
>>
>>2570789
I want to see some discussion on the subject, you blithering retard.
>>
vatican 2 council was the killing blow.
>>
File: Catón.jpg (18KB, 220x330px) Image search: [Google]
Catón.jpg
18KB, 220x330px
It didn't die out, it slowly evolved into the Romance languages. During the Early Middle Ages what once had been Italia, Gaul, Hispania and Dacia developed each one its own flavour of Vulgar Latin and Classical Latin was relegated to the liturgical and the scholarly.
>>
No two generations speak exactly the same, there are always slight differences in pronunciation, and slight analogical changes in the grammar. These changes are shared by people who are in constant contact with each other, i.e. communities. With the fall of the Western Roman Empire and break down in travel and communication the regional dialects became more and more disparate.

Classical Latin emerged as a literary standard of the language in the Late Republic. At this point there was little difference between it and Vulgar Latin. It's a common misconception that Classical Latin was the language of the aristocrats and the peasants spoke Vulgar Latin. Everyone spoke Vulgar Latin but upper class people acquired the literary standard in their education for writing and speaking in very formal situations, such as giving speeches.

This artificial form of Latin continued to be used as the language of administration, diplomacy, science, and church across most of Europe for the next millennium. With the rise of nation-states most countries began using their own languages for government and church. French replaced Latin as the language of diplomacy in the 17th century. English and to a lesser extent German began replacing Latin as international languages of science from the 18th to 20th centuries.
>>
>>2570786
https://www.britannica.com/topic/Romance-languages
>>
>>2570814
>i didnt die of old age, i slowly got older
>>
>>2570812
Church Latin is still heavily Italian influenced. Original Roman Latin is best preserved in Corsican.
>>
>>2570936
I agree with all you said. Now, latin was maybe a mere exemple for the way language works. Your point about that two generations never speak exactly the same language is an interesting one to make. It is also fair to conclude, no generations speak exactly the same language. You can be practical about it, the difficulty of being bilingual (etc)and therefor not speaking all the other languages are clear But even if you speak the same language, english in this case, there can be some differences. You can't hear my real voice, so you substitute my voice with your own in your head. It is probable that we come from different backgrounds, maybe have different values or interests, nationality (you name it). So that creates difference in 'communication'. But although you can't hear me or my intonation, see my expressions or gestures, I can make an effort to make myself understandable, heard, understood etc etc (etcetera, shows that languages don't 'die', but they tend to disappear out of the public if they age or if they aren't used exstensivly) I guess when it comes to communication and being understood, making an effort to truelly express yourself, in extent, is as much as important as speaking or at least understanding multiple languages. Just as important intonation and all that is.

Now, this might seem a pointless argument, but (and this is not personal, but this goes for everyone who speaks on a platform like this, where the 'language' = written text as result of thought). On the premises that we don't know each other, I can say anything. And if I make myself clear enough, I have to potential to be heard by everybody as much as no one. Can it therefor be said, that this platform, in its potential and present state, is in a way language?
>>
Imagine if Germany had been divided in 3 countries, and German wasnt spoken anymore because those 3 countries had switched to their real local languages, Austro-Bavarian, Swiss German and Plattdeutsch.

Something similar, not identical, is what happened to Latin. The Roman empire fell, and people begun to only use their real local languages, not the learned tool for the educated that was Latin.

btw, I dislike the classical pronounciation. If in all Romance languages "v" no longer sounds like "w", that happened for a reason.
>>
>>2570936
Is it safe to say that if the western roman empire never fell (crazy, I know) the romance languages today would be much closer to each other?
>>
>>2572066
It is never safe to sy anything like that:p. You will never know ;-). But maybe? Probabely?
>>
>>2570786
Fell out of use by the people in favour of the national Romance languages.
>>2570814
>It didn't die out, it slowly evolved into the Romance languages.
At which point, no one spoke it, and spoke instead, the Romance languages. Hence, it died out.
>>
>>2570786
What I want to know is why has Persian barely changed in 1500 years, despite the fucking Islamic invasions, but Latin became unrecognizable after the germs took over.
>>
>>2572993
The change from Old Persian to Middle Persian is probably more drastic than from Latin to the Romance languages though.
>>
>>2573080
Old Persian is basic a different language, but it's from way back during Achaemenid times.

Middle Persian --> New Persian occurred during the Islamic conquests.

But ever since about 800 CE, Persian has barely changed in Iran, with only slight changes in prononciation, and in Afghanistan they basically speak the same way they did in 800.

The same cannot be said about Gallo-Romance or Vulgar Latin.
>>
>>2573080

understanding a text from the year 800 produced in France, Italy, or Christian Spain, isnt that hard for a Romance language speaker.
Most of the damage had already been done by then. the dialects spoken in the 800s are closer to modern languages than to latin.

This is "french" from the year 842

Pro Deo amur et pro christian poblo et nostro comun salvament, d'ist di in avant, in quant Deus savir et podir me dunat, si salvarai eo cist meon fradre Karlo, et in adjudha et in cadhuna cosa si cum om per dreit son fradra salvar dift, in o quid il mi altresi fazet; et ab Ludher nul plaid nunquam prindrai qui meon vol cist meon fradre Karlo in damno sit.

the first sentences are very easy to understand for someone who speaks a romance language and no latin at all, kind of similar to the Interlingua auxiliary language.
>>
>>2572960
When people talk of a language dying out, generally that means people stop speaking it. For example, fewer and fewer people speak quechua each year. By contrast, the way Latin "died out" wasn't through people abandoning it for other languages, it was through populations of latin-speakers becoming isolated from each other. If only one branch of Latin speakers had survived, we wouldn't call it a dead language, we'd just say the modern descendants of these people speak "modern Latin" and their ancestors spoke "old Latin," but since several branches survived we don't call any of them Latin. Really though, if you want to call Latin a dead language you should call English a dead language too since the difference from latin to Spanish is less than that of old English to new English. You should also call greek a dead language.
>>
>>2573306
>understanding a text from the year 800 produced in France, Italy, or Christian Spain, isnt that hard for a Romance language speaker.

Yes they are. Just because you can understand individual words doesn't mean you understand the grammar, and grammar is absolutely essential to understanding anything.

The same bullshit claim is made by modern Greek speakers in reference to Classical texts.
>>
>>2573306
I speak French and maybe understood 30℅ of that.

It's some sort of Christian prayer (funeral?) relating to Karlo and salvation.

But the syntax is foreign.
>>
>>2573538
It's the Oaths of Strasbourg.
>>
>>2573306
>For the love of god and for the christian people and our common (as in everyone's) salvation, from today on, as god knows and can gift(?) me, it shall be saved for my brother Charles, and in help and in everything that it's known to be right for brothers to save, or what I'd otherwise do; ...
Yeah nah it's fuck hard. You absolutely need to know latin to get the grammar, and about a third of the words don't look familiar enough to me to try to find meaning to them through resemblance and context.
>>
>>2570789
>just Google everything
>never generate new discussion or use other websites

Faggot
>>
>>2573695
It's a stupid question.
>>
File: IMG_20170326_204535_366.jpg (41KB, 528x440px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170326_204535_366.jpg
41KB, 528x440px
>>2570810
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.