[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Serious question: why didnt medieval scholars in Europe learn

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 3

File: IMG_0555.png (522KB, 505x656px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0555.png
522KB, 505x656px
Serious question: why didnt medieval scholars in Europe learn Greek? Wasnt there any resources to learn it, or didnt they just give a shit?
>>
>>2567378
Because Greek was the language of heretics and pagans.
>>
>medieval scholars in Europe

Who in "Europe"?

Ah, but I have narrowed down the possibilities. The only scholars in Europe who never learned Greek must have been of the Byzantines.
>>
>>2567381
But they studied Aristotle, that doesnt make any sense
>>
Irish monks were fluent in Greek. The only extant version of one work by Maximus the confessor, a Byzantine theologian, is a Latin translation from the Greek by Scotus Eriugena.

I have no idea why monks in other parts of Western Europe weren't though. Possibly political reasons? Rome's rivalry with Constantinople?
>>
>>2567402
>Irish monks were fluent in Greek

No they weren't. Eurigena is the exception, not the rule. His work was condemned as heresy later and his strange death probably has something to do with it as well.
>>
Because Latin gets the job done just as well. Both Latin and Greek are sacred languages.
>>
File: RadzivillChronicleFol21rb.jpg (856KB, 1200x884px) Image search: [Google]
RadzivillChronicleFol21rb.jpg
856KB, 1200x884px
>>2567378
The majority of the Bulgarian aristocracy actually studied in Byzantine universities and schools despite the fact that they were in war with then for over 6 fucking centuries, and due to the fact that since the 9th century Bulgaria was Orthodox the majority of the clergy knew Greek. It's weird really between those two states, at war all the time but never really hated each other.
>>
>>2567874
>Bulgarian aristocracy actually studied in Byzantine universities and schools
>despite the fact that they were in war with then for over 6 fucking centuries,

That just sounds silly. Our history is full of made-up garbage like this.
>>
File: 1490470826813.gif (3MB, 222x379px) Image search: [Google]
1490470826813.gif
3MB, 222x379px
>>2567488
>tfw an official council of the Catholic Church called Eriugena's writings "Irish porridge"
Always trying to keep the green man down
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.