[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

China & Chinese diaspora

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

File: chna-MMAP-md.png (198KB, 1032x726px) Image search: [Google]
chna-MMAP-md.png
198KB, 1032x726px
1) Does China (PRC) have a lot of soft power over nations with sizeable Chinese diasporas / ruling classes? (Singapore, Thailand)

2) Do overseas Chinese feel 'superior' to PRC Chinese, because of Communism, i.e. they maintained Chinese culture better without that the interference of an ideology. Or is there some deeper reason (overseas Chinese usually descended from the southern region).

3) I read that Taiwan has fond or neutral memories of the Japanese occupation compared to Korea, how likely is it that Taiwan & Japan will form a military pact in the future to counter balance China. I also read Taiwan is forming it's own sense of 'ethnicity' distinct from China as the years of separation from the PRC accumulate.
>>
no
yes, but for a different reason. HK and taiwan tend to look down on mainland china but they're all the same chink to everyone else
zero. a military pact would be diplomatic/economic/military suicide
>>
>>2566418
>1)
I am not certain of soft power on a political level, but on a business level there is the so-called "bamboo network" which is something that exists.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bamboo_network
https://www.strategy-business.com/article/9702?gko=4a3c6

>2)
There are many factors involved. Anecdotally I know many Malaysian and Singaporean Chinese, who are often disdainful of the "Chinamen" who they consider to be very greedy and selfish. It is posited that the famine and absolute poverty affecting two, three generations under Mao encouraged this dog-eat-dog mentality among much of the population of China and destroyed principles, and this is only slowly healing today as China prospers.

And there is also the stigma of the ill-mannered reputation for being rude and dirty that Chinese tourists have gained, as there are huge numbers of people from deep rural areas who have newly come into money and do not know how to behave.

There is also the idea of course that communism encourage the mainland Chinese to destroy their culture. And these Chinese overseas do not like to be associated with the CCP and its corruption and human rights abuses.

>3)
Japan invested a lot into Taiwan, building infrastructure and providing education and business as it was their first modern colony and a showcase model for how Japan could be "good" imperialists. When the island was handed back to China after WW2 many on the island chafed under KMT corruption and were nostalgic for the Japanese. Today Taiwan is still pro-Japan and contemporary Japanese culture is very popular in Taiwan. However, a military alliance would be provocative towards the mainland and effectively suicide for cross-strait relations.
The Taiwanese identity as distinct from mainland China is definitely growing. They may still consider themselves Chinese in the same sense that diasporas in Singapore or HK. But not affiliated with the PRC. The reasons for negative opinion that diasporas hold applies here too.
>>
>>2566418
>2) Do overseas Chinese feel 'superior' to PRC Chinese, because of Communism, i.e. they maintained Chinese culture
You could make this argument with the Southeast Asian diasporas. But I've never met a American or European Overseas Chinese past the second generation who has even an inkling of Chinese culture.
>>
1) No.
2) Not ideologically but mainly because most Chinese diaspora are rich as fuck and tend to look down on the more peasanty mainlanders
3) Taiwan has less of an antagonising view towards Japan than Korea
>>
The amusing thing is that the PRC government will not even allow the Taiwanese government to renounce its claim on the Chinese mainland in spite of the claim being utterly ludicrous at this point, because if they stopped claiming to be the legitimate government of mainland China this would be effectively declaring the island of Taiwan to no longer be part of China, and territorial integrity is more important than the ROC pretending the PRC are just a bunch of rebels.
>>
Yes. Even in many Western nations like Australia, New Zealand or Canada us Chinese are buying up lots of useful land. Some Chinese company bought a piece of farmland in Australia bigger than most European countries, bought, not leased or rented. Chinese will have a justification for war if anything happens at all.

Many Chinese overseas just see themselves as Chinese. Lots of them have been corrupt though and follow strange cults like Falun Gong or Taiwanism.

I don't understand the question, Taiwan is part of China. There were Taiwan aborigines but they are gone for a long time now I think modern ones are fakes.
>>
>>2566519
The Chinese own less than 0.5% of agricultural land in Australia you nut. By this logic there is a concerted Dutch effort to control Australia because they own 0.5%
>>
>>2566519
Found the 50 cent party. How is that massive currency outflow and capital controls treating you?
>>
>>2566519
>Many Chinese overseas just see themselves as Chinese.
Except that's wrong, most second generation oversees are far more integrated into their home countries than China itself. My own grandmother is 2nd generation and doesn't speak a lick of Chinese despite carrying over many of the cultural traits that are present in East Asian immigrants. In this case, it can't even be chalked up to the effects of cultural assimilation, as Hawaii has a majority of people that are of Asian decent.

Oversees Chinese are in no way the same as mainlanders. There are huge differences in culture and perception the farther you get in a generational sense.
>>
>>2566592
> there is a concerted Dutch effort to control Australia

New Holland*
>>
>1) Does China (PRC) have a lot of soft power over nations with sizeable Chinese diasporas / ruling classes? (Singapore, Thailand)

Kind of. It's subtle. Recently they've been trying to amp it up a lot - saying that overseas Chinese should have loyalty to China.

Personally I think you should look at the espionage figures. So many overseas Chinese spy for the PRC, it's insane.

Very few Chinese overseas have loyalty to their adopted home.
>>
>>2566626
>Hawaii
Opinion discarded.
Come and see what Malaysian Chinese (the second biggest Chinese diaspora community) are like one of these days.

Even the fifth generation and beyond still grow up speaking Chinese as a first language in the household, are taught in Chinese-language schools, eat Chinese food, celebrate Chinese festivals, watch Chinese movies and dramas and listen to Chinese-language radio broadcasts, read Chinese-language books, are aware of some rudimentary Chinese history, and above all identify as Chinese.

Not Chinese as in 中国人, but Chinese as in 华人.
>>
>>2566645
>>2566626
To be clear, it is important not to conflate the Chinese state with the Chinese civilization. Malaysian Chinese may feel no loyalty to China, but definitely still identify as Chinese and maintain the culture to match.
>>
>>2566655
Malay chinks and indochinks are 100% loyal to china
>>
>>2566675
>are 100% loyal to china
Don't be dumb. We're happy to do business with the PRChinese, but we don't take orders from Beijing.
>>
>>2566685
t. wen ho lee
>>
Chinese overseas communities are some of the worst overseas communities in the world at integrating into their new host countries.
>>
>>2566592

>Oh wee, de Australiërs weten het!
>>
>>2566438
>but they're all the same chink to everyone else
If you're a retarded murrikan, perhaps.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.