[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

William Marshall...Reality and Myth

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

File: william marshall.jpg (48KB, 276x413px) Image search: [Google]
william marshall.jpg
48KB, 276x413px
how much of his story, legend is romanticized and what is real

many consider him the greatest knight in European history

do you agree?
>>
dude was a legit badass

has his story been embellished, probably...pretty much every "great" historical figure has had there story romanticized in some way

but dude defeated The Lionheart in singular combat
>>
>>2563459
>many consider him the greatest knight in European history

In English history (although he was French)
Bayard was the greatest knight in European history
>>
>>2563575
>although he was French
lol
>>
>>2563575
what did Bayard do?
>>
>>2563575
>>2563612
It's pretty shameful that practically none of the knights and lords of England were of Anglo-Saxon stock. They were primarily Norman with a dash of Angevins, Aquitaine, Breton, Flemish. This is why any historical drama set between 1066 to 1326 (start of the Hundred Years' War) should have the royalty, nobility, and knights speaking the Norman dialect.
>>
File: Bayard_at_Garigliano.jpg (91KB, 865x598px) Image search: [Google]
Bayard_at_Garigliano.jpg
91KB, 865x598px
>>2564029
>Throughout the centuries since his death, he has been known as "the knight without fear and beyond reproach" (le chevalier sans peur et sans reproche)

>At the Battle of Garigliano he single-handedly defended the bridge of the Garigliano against 200 Spaniards, an exploit that brought him such renown that Pope Julius II tried unsuccessfully to entice him into his service.[1]
>>
>>2564801
Bayard is up there as well as El Cid, Gerald the Fearless, Bertrand du Guesclin, Godfrey of Bouillon, and Skanderbeg.
>>
>>2564494
I think it's because deep down, it shames the English people that they were an appendage of Normandy and later the Angevin Empire of Henry II. The Normans really beat them into submission compared to the Welsh, Irish, Lombards, and Sicilians.

I also bet it's a calculated move on the aristocracy's part to downplay their Norman ancestry because it'll make English commoners why the fuck is England's real estate in the hands of those families after all these centuries.
>>
>>2564494
>should have the royalty, nobility, and knights speaking the Norman dialect.

You mean Old French?
Because that's what the "Norman dialect" was, Old French with a few words having a different spelling when written
Anyway, it'd probably be impossible to have it in movies, I doubt even the French can speak Old French anymore
>>
>>2565221
The language of the court by Henry II's reign was the Anglo-Norman dialect with infusions from insular French due to the Angevin connection. Obviously, Norman and Anglo-Norman was mutually intelligible with Old French, but even by the 13th century, French writers were mocking the peculiarities of the Plantagenet court's dialect.

All movies and TV shows have to do is have a post-1066 noble or king speak modern French while anyone of Anglo-Saxon extraction speaks modern English. It hammers in the idea that the Anglo-Normans and their English subjects had a sort of apartheid. The Pillars of the Earth series touched upon the gulf between what the everyday peasant spoke and who was higher on the food chain.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.