[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How come Germany didn't unify before 1871?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2

File: bismarck.jpg (240KB, 734x1000px) Image search: [Google]
bismarck.jpg
240KB, 734x1000px
So how come Germany didn't become a single country until 1871?
I suppose you could argue that the >H>R>E vaguely resembled a highly decentralised German state at various points of its existence, but still.
Was it the rivalry between Prussia, Bavaria and Austria that kept them divided? Or was the tradition of regional autonomy in the HRE too deeply ingrained in German politics, to the point where unification wasn't really possible until after the HRE was dissolved?
And why did it take the Franco-Prussian War to unite the German states under a Prussian-led coalition against France? Why didn't this happen when they were fighting Napoleon ~70 years earlier?
>>
Gutter crown was never worth it
>>
>>2561835
It was beneficial for their rivals to have Germany not united.
>>
>>2561873
This.

And when Germany was finally united, it disrupted the balance of power just as the powers of Europe always knew it would.
>>
Because not every century spit out a Otto or Adolf. Plus real uniter of German people is always fond of canine.

There was no balance of power, but eternal Anglo dominance before Bissy.
>>
the whole notion of a German people didn't really get established until that time

back in Roman Empire days "Germanic" just meant "unwashed northern barbarians"

and when HRE came about it wasn't much about opportunistic and traitorous nobles as much as them going back to old tribal lines (Franks became Frankfurt, Saxons became Saxony, etc.)

and then there was the whole "Protestant vs. Catholic" thing
>>
>>2561835
The emergence of modernity associated with the industrial revolution and the tremendous political upheavals of the French Revolution that produced the modern ideology of nationalism, which was then used by the Prussian monarchs to successfully bring the rest of modern Germany under their control.
>>
File: ww1.jpg (16KB, 259x156px) Image search: [Google]
ww1.jpg
16KB, 259x156px
>>2562731
>disrupted the balance of power
I really dont know what you are talking about
>>
>>2561835
Because nationalism was not a thing before that. German nationalism only became a thing during the Napoleonic wars, and then it took 70 years because they couldn't decide how to unify without someone getting upset over it.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.