[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is this accurate

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2

File: China timeline.jpg (679KB, 5000x717px) Image search: [Google]
China timeline.jpg
679KB, 5000x717px
So in the National Palace Museum on Taiwan, they have a huge timeline that shows China against all the other major world civilizations, to try to prove that China is the oldest surviving civilization in the world. How accurate is this claim? Is there any reason to consider it suspect?
>>
There is some continuity between the Chinese empires, but they were governed by many different peoples and dynasties, so to claim a continuation of a united Chinese Empire through all these years seems a bit like propaganda.

Would be the same if Italians claimed unbroken descendance from Roman Empire, or maybe even Greek.
>>
>>2561707
It's bullshit, simple, tribal peoples of Neolithic Taiwan were completely different than modern Taiwan. You could just as well make a graph from similarly Neolithic cultures of Europe, or almost any other part of the world really, to "prove" that this culture is the oldest.

And if we consider Neolithic and modern Taiwan to be the same culture, there is no problem in moving even further back in time, to Palaeolithic times and "proving" that Africa is the oldest.
>>
>>2561715
>but they were governed by many different peoples and dynasties
How did the different dynasties differ from, for example, the different Royal Houses of England (like the Tudors, the Stuarts, and the Hanoverians)?

>>2561721
I think the focus of the timeline was on the Chinese dynasties rather than the Taiwanese aboriginals, since the museum is broadly about Chinese historical artifacts taken from the Forbidden Palace when the Republic government escaped from the Communists.
>>
>>2561755
It's very difficult to compare China to England in this aspect. The dynasties differ in that usually there was great violence involved in getting another dynasty, with a specific culture group in China becoming in charge of the country, and thus becoming the primary culture. Add that to being conquered by different peoples in between, and nobles intermixing with the conquerors, and you get a situation very different from that in England. I'm not sure about this, but most royal houses are related to each other in Europe. This was not as much the case in China.
>>
>>2561707
>ancient greek civilisation ends around 400 BC

huh
>>
>>2561771
That was around when Alexander died and his empire fragmented, then Alexandria and Antioch became more important than the Greek citystates proper.
>>
>>2561707

What a stupid and pointless dick-measuring contest.

Nationalism might be the most serious threat to historical accuracy (next to time-related decay)
>>
>>2561924
>That was around when Alexander died and his empire fragmented
Almost a century off.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.