[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Did the average greek actually believe in their pantheon, and

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

File: 220px-Aristotle_Altemps_Inv8575.jpg (15KB, 220x294px) Image search: [Google]
220px-Aristotle_Altemps_Inv8575.jpg
15KB, 220x294px
Did the average greek actually believe in their pantheon, and if yes, how much? I've been reading "The Republic" by Plato and he treats most of it like a collection of fictional stories.

I know the picture is Aristotle, but I'm too lazy to search for one with Plato.
>>
The illiterate normies certainly believed.
>>
Youd pray to a war god and sacrifice a bull as a king to ease anxiety over a coming conflict for example to ease nerves and increase performance. Smoking the pot yourself rather than paying for a religous man to do it for you works just as well though. Fuck humanity is stupid
>>
>>2561555
He was the educated elite, though. I'm certain most of the average Joes and Joseys believed.
>>
Funny because in the Laws Plato suggested the death penalty for those who don't believe in the gods. I guess he, like Voltaire, knew that eternal pleb needed to believe in gods in order not to utterly destroy society via weaponized nihilism.

>Hurr durr I have everything I want but life is meaningless, let's stop having children and invite millions of barbarians into our land to replace us
>>
ITT: fedora fantasies

They were definitely religious.
>>
They were pretty religious.

Some of the educated elite flirted with various forms of monolatry or monotheism though, usually by establishing Zeus' role as head of the pantheon as even grander than the myths.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.