[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

BC/AD or BCE/CE and why?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 7

File: 1474756585623.jpg (108KB, 1536x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1474756585623.jpg
108KB, 1536x1024px
BC/AD or BCE/CE and why?
>>
>>2560899
BC/AD because that's the way I was raised and it's habit at this point
>>
negative/positive makes the most sense. we are positive 2017 right now
>>
AC/DC
>>
BCE/CE, not because I'm a pinko but because of the kind of fuckwit that gets triggered by it
>>
BC/AD just because it makes people throw fits
>>
>>2560907
Second. Why is it 476 BC or 476 BCE rather than just -476?
>>
>>2560899
BC/AD, it's habit. Also, BCE/CE are still based on Jesus, and using them would associate myself with anti-Christians.
>>
BC and AD because it's what I've always used and it's fine and the alternative is a pointless cosmetic change bereft of any history or continuity
>>
I only use the Holocene calendar :^)
>>
>>2560957
>Make sure to support us on Patreon and buy our merch!

>Oh and support the movement to change the calendar too i guess.
>>
>>2560899
BC/AD because I'm used to it, but I'm not offended by BCE/BC. I support BCE/BC going forward because it's easier for kids to learn.
>>
>>2560971
>I support BCE/BC going forward because it's easier for kids to learn.
How? It's literally the exact same year, just adding Common Era to it.
>>
>>2560941
BCE/CE, for literally the exact same reason.
>>
>>2560899
Option 1: Doesn't fucking matter. Just use whatever the institution you're using it in is using.
Option 2: This >>2560907 >>2560950. Just stop the flavour and call it "Year 428" and "Year -291".
Option 3: Use a periodization fit to history: "Year 3400 since the beginning of the Bronze Age".
Option 4: Use a periodization fit to geology: "Year 12000 since the ending of the Holozene", "Year 200 of the Anthropozene".
Option 5: Use a periodization fit to paleoanthropology: "Year 10000 since homo sapiens left Africa".
Option 6: Use a periodization fit to technology (like #3): "Year 3000 since the invention of interplanetary travel"
Option 7: Pick a random dude's birthday. "Year 200 since the birth of Kant."
>>
BC/AD, since that's what the Calendar is based on
>>
File: IMG_0164.jpg (39KB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0164.jpg
39KB, 400x300px
BC/AD
I'm an atheist, but still using a calendar that has Jesus as its main focus and just rearranging the words to make it sound more secular is silly. If they could actually point to something that made it the "common era", I'd use it.
>>
>>2561034
The common era thing is actually kind of Cristocentric, since it assumes the Common era starts with Jesus.

I'm sure Achmed would argue that his era is represented by the AH calendar.
>>
>>2561034
Good point
>>
File: 1490390415615.jpg (90KB, 335x438px) Image search: [Google]
1490390415615.jpg
90KB, 335x438px
>>2561052
That's always been the contention. Why not call a spade a spade and be done with it?

I realize changing the calendar would be hard, but why not just accept that the calendar we use was made by people who believed it reflected the date their god was born.

I mean, nobody gives a shit that the days of the week are named after gods
>>
>>2560990
>Option 7
10/10
>>
>>2560899
It's like saying Happy Holidays on Easter, you sound more politically correct but you're still talking about a festivity that has Biblical fucking origins. Actually, even the Easter name should be scraped since it's some Anglo Pagan goddess.
>>
>>2561096
M'lady
>>
>>2560899
BC/AD, used it my whole life and can't be fucked changing now.
>>
>>2561099
No you fuck off you dumb sand nigger
>>
>>2560899

BC/AD because BCE/CE is based directly on BC/AD. Calling it another name is a pathetic cop-out.

It's like those shitty Noah and Moses movies that tried as hard as they can to downplay the theistic elements. If you don't like a religion's theology, don't tell their stories or use their systems.
>>
File: 5cd.jpg (29KB, 400x462px) Image search: [Google]
5cd.jpg
29KB, 400x462px
>MMDCCLXIX + I
>Not using Ab Urbe Condita
>>
File: GUktqE1.jpg (39KB, 760x760px) Image search: [Google]
GUktqE1.jpg
39KB, 760x760px
so we have two options
1. continue using Jesus as the turning point of history, (in which case using anything but the historical term used for thousands of years is pointless and requires explaining the historical term regardless)
2. change to another turning point in history, but refer to the year as something like "1732 AR (2017 AD)" while paying 100,000 programmers to recode every computer program to the new date so they don't crash upon contradictory input data, while also teaching BC/AD in every school for the foreseeable future anyway because all the pop culture, literature, government records, everything in the western world for the last 1500 years is still stamped with the old time and that won't go away.

Really, the only way to get away with changing to a new time is upon a monumental event.

Make like Rudolf Von Goldenbaum, create a new enormous empire and enforce Universal Time beginning at 1 UT, then you can just go BC/AD/UT and start looking to the future.

I'm honestly all in favor of that, as long as the event is actually an unprecedented global event and not some dumb United Nations agenda to pretend anything's changing
>>
File: EASTER.png (7KB, 420x420px) Image search: [Google]
EASTER.png
7KB, 420x420px
>>2561096
>Actually, even the Easter name should be scraped
American detected
>>
File: Puff Ugh.jpg (57KB, 600x448px) Image search: [Google]
Puff Ugh.jpg
57KB, 600x448px
>>2561209
>Latin "Dating"
>>
>>2560899

BCE because it triggers autists.
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.