[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /his/! I recently discovered philosophy and i want to know

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: plato.jpg (8KB, 229x159px) Image search: [Google]
plato.jpg
8KB, 229x159px
Hey /his/! I recently discovered philosophy and i want to know more about it. Which books should a newcomer like me read?
>>
>>2559949
Go outside and stare at the trees, hills, creeks, rivers, etc. Then form your own conclusions the meaning of life and why we're here.
>????
>now you are philosopher-san
>>
Start with the Sumerians
>>
Posted this in a different thread, but it still applies I think:

Just for sheer ease of readability:
Enchiridion by Epictetus
Meditations by Marcus Aurelius
Letter to Menoeceus and Vatican Sayings by Epicurus
Apology, Crito, and Phaedo by Plato
Nichomachean Ethics by Aristotle
Confessions by St. Augustine
Enquiry Concerning Human Understanding by David Hume
Proverbs, Ecclesiastes, Lamentations, and Job in the Bible.
>>
>>2560099
In no particular order?
>>
>>2560116
I'd say the order would work pretty well. The only thing I can think of is putting the Bible books earlier or at least before Augustine.
>>
>>2560116
As long as you look up the context in an encyclopedia or even wikipedia, the timeline shouldn't be too wonky.
>>
If you're concerned at all with understanding a one of the boards bigger memes, The Ego and Its Own by Max Stirner is recommended. Personally I recommend it on its own philosophical merits.

The Tao Te Ching and the Chuang Tzu are both excellent and very enjoyable to read works.

>>2560099
I'll add to this: The Gay Science and Thus Spoke Zarathustra by Nietzsche.
>>
>>2559949
1) ancient ideas
2) medieval Philosophy basics
3) Descartes
4) Spinoza
5) maybe Leibniz
6) Locke
7) maybe Berkeley
8) Hume
9)Kant
10) Schopenhauer
11) Hegel
12) Kierkegaard and Nietschze
13) Husserl Heidegger Merleau Ponty as Phenomenologists
14) Sartre as existencial and phenomenological
15) Camus maybe
16) Derrida Foucalt Baudrillard
17) John Rawls, Nozick, and Marx for political theory
18) Bentham, Kant, Anscombe, Talisse for ethics.
>>
The entire western philosophy is a footnote to Plato, so whom do you think you should start with? Also the bible whether you believe in it or not.
>>
honestly, coming from someone who's read the greeks, the germans, the moderns and lots of here and there, the internet is your best resource in this day and age. I learn more faster browsing iep than I ever have reading books.

http://www.iep.utm.edu/

just open a random article that looks interesting and start reading.
>>
>>2561470
the book of mormon is a better read.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.