[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

are the stories about the sengoku period largely dramatized,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

File: R-8671855-1466325838-3972.png.jpg (550KB, 1600x787px) Image search: [Google]
R-8671855-1466325838-3972.png.jpg
550KB, 1600x787px
are the stories about the sengoku period largely dramatized, or was it actually that interesting? i finished the extra history videos on this the other day, this was way more interesting than the war of the roses
>>
>>2558899
Depends if your going by contemporaneous or edo period accounts.

when your dealing with individuals it can often be hard to separate fact from hearsay because they would often write both down.
>>
>>2558899
I've never been interested in the war of the roses.
It's just another secession war in Europe hurr duur so what?
>>
>>2559038
It's only so prevalent because of Anglo dominance of media.
>>
>>2558899
Most things are dramatized, that doesn't mean they are not true to an extent. For example.
>Hideyoshi built a castle in one night.
He most certainly didn't. He and his soldiers built, very quickly, what would probably be a rudimentary fort, with palisades and defensive works. Not that it wasn't admirable, just not "And then poof! The genious Hideyoshi proved once again his worth to the Oda by building a castle in one night using this weird trick!"
>>
>>2559318
>>2559318
what about that famous ninja who stayed loyal to that guy and helped him defend that castle with 5 men?
>>
>>2559490
Hattori Hanzō? That insident is almost completely true. Look up the Battle of Mikatagahara. Generally, ninja were one of the most reliable and loyal agents one could employ during the Sengoku period. Definitely more loyal than retainers and Samurai in general.
>>
>>2559554
>ninja were one of the most reliable and loyal agents one could employ during the Sengoku period. Definitely more loyal than retainers and Samurai in general.
do you think that might have been because a lot of people didnt trust ninjas, so not a lot of them were employed, and the ones who were did their best to maintain trust?
>>
File: IMG_8032.jpg (145KB, 929x691px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_8032.jpg
145KB, 929x691px
>>
Nobunaga's ascent, his destruction of the Asakura and Azai, the betrayal of his retainer Mitsuhide Akechi at Honnoji were real as shit and incredibly interesting. And that's just a fraction of the period.

But I'm not gonna lie. The foundation of most of my knowledge of the sengoku period is from the Koei Samurai Warriors series.
>>
the war of the roses was more political in nature, central authority was intact and it was more a matter of who sat on the throne

before the sengoku jidai the emperor was already puppet of the shogun, after the onin war the shogun became a puppet of a mere clan, without a reliable figurehead to resolve disputes it became a free for all between the clans, the instability opened up more opportunities for warlords to expand and soon things devolved into an "it's us or them" attitude to gaining power
>>
>>2559570
>a lot of people didnt trust ninjas
That's not the case. Ninja were used by every daimyo. They weren't short on employment. They were just Jacks of all Trades. They would be beside you in battle, in full gear, and do sabotage/assassinations etc. as well. Don't know why they are reported to have such a good record of being loyal though.
>>
>>2559625
maybe its the lack of a central authority for ninjas? like samurais did have higher ranks etc and the higher ranked ones didnt really give 2 shits about honor or chivalry, but the lower ranks did. the ninjas dont really have that so everyone's sort of equal and morally upright maybe
>>
>>2559640
Perhaps they had their own code of loyalty to the "customer".
Btw, if you like anime and can overlook cutesy drawing styles, watch "Nobunaga no Shinobi". It's pretty accurate historically and every episode is a couple minutes long.
>>
>>2559661
looks pretty good t.b.h
>>
>>2559625
>>2559640

The problem is that "ninja" is a term applied to a wide variety of people engaged in various forms of espionage and asymmetrical warfare. Its kind of a modern catch all term
>>
>>2559661
>Nobunaga no Shinobi
Thank you. I'm now enjoying this series.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.