[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Entry level philosophy books for a man with a mediocre IQ.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 4

File: hqdefault.jpg (24KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
24KB, 480x360px
Entry level philosophy books for a man with a mediocre IQ.
>>
>>2555816

Introduction to Philosophy, 4th Edition by Perry, Bratman, Fischer.
>>
>>2555819
Thanks
>>
>>2555816
The Bible
The Quran
The Torah
>>
>>2555835
I've read bits of the old testament and new testament, as well as much of the Quran. I don't see how this would be a good intro into philosophy though.
>>
>>2555819
Had this book in both Intro courses I took. Highly recommend.
>>
Epicurus and Confucius
>>
Why cant people develop their own philosophy?
Their own view on life.
>>
>>2555897
What makes you think they don't? There are very few people that follow their preferred philosophical school to the exact letter.
>>
>>2555869
A touch of East and West. I like it.
>>
Sophie's World
>>
>>2555897
I just want to expand my knowledge.
>>
>>2555816

Anything by Bertram Russel. He was tremendously smart but he writes clearly, without jargon, and in a way even a brainlet can understand.
>>
I REALLY liked the Routledge Philosophy Guidebook series. They are very didactic, and, unlike the Cambridge companion meme, where each book is a bunch of articles by different professors jacking off, each book is written a single author.
>>
>>2555943
Cool, thankyou.
>>
>>2555816
Meditations by Marcus Aurelius. Just keep google nearby to understand some of the 5-dollar words.
>>
File: th.jpg (8KB, 167x300px) Image search: [Google]
th.jpg
8KB, 167x300px
walk into a brick n mortor book store and find one you like and buy the fucking thing, read it, then give it to someone else if the opportunity (y).
>>
>>2556074
Arrises
>>
>>2555897
>wants to start from scratch instead of developing from the shoulders of giants
why do you study history
>>
>>2555897
Philosophy doesn't mean avademically what it means to a lay person. Philosophy is a framework consisting of a series of intellectual tools that are used to manipulate reality. It's basically what pompous assholes use to control you by convincing naive people that their senses and reason are deceptive and untrue because of 2deep4u reasons.
>>
Read Copplestones history of philosophy. Its one of the best, maybe the biggest, its huuuuge.
>>
>>2555816
Reason and Argument by Richard Feldman. You NEED this book. It should be mandatory for every academic to read desu because it's just superb in what it does, teaching reasoning, logic and how to analyse arguments in such a way that even a toddler will get it.
>>
>>2555897
why not develop your own physics and biology while at it?
>>
>>2556375
Right? I mean, don't let other people deceive with their bogus "science". They're trying to manipulate you man! Fight the power! Now pass me that joint...
>>
Meltdown by Nick Land
http://www.ccru.net/swarm1/1_melt.htm

The first time I read it was a life changing event, like someone with actual intelligence dissected the Earth and saw past a lot of bullshit.

A bit heavy on cyberpunk lingo but ECCE HOMO

Speaking of Ecce Homo, Nietzsche's last book (Ecce Homo) is a masterpiece. He takes on the persona of someone with a warm heart and a melancholy soul. He directly tells the reader "This is what I wrote before and here is a simple explanation I am telling you, the reader, directly.".

Read it before anything else by Nietzsche. Only exception may be Beyond Good and Evil.
>>
>>2555816
The enchirdion by Epictetus.
>>
>>2555816

TO PHILOSOPHIZE, AND TO COMPREHEND PHILOSOPHICAL SYSTEMS, ONE NEEDS A PHILOSOPHICAL MIND; PHILOSOPHICAL INTELLIGENCE IS NOT QUANTIFIED BY "IQ" MEASUREMENTS.
>>
>>2556062
This is it innit? Practical advice and no esoteric concepts. Pretty short.
>>
>>2556375
>comparing hard sciences to soft sciences

LOL spotted the disgruntled unemployed philosophy major
>>
>>2557735
Great...thanks for the input man.
>>
>>2555897
There's nothing new under the sun, boyo. Only an idiot doesn't learn from people who came before.
>>
Just for sheer ease of readability:
Enchiridion by Epictetus
Meditations by Marcus Aurelius
Letter to Menoeceus and Vatican Sayings by Epicurus
Apology, Crito, and Phaedo by Plato
Nichomachean Ethics by Aristotle
Confessions by St. Augustine
Enquiry Concerning Human Understanding by David Hume
Proverbs, Ecclesiastes, Lamentations, and Job in the Bible.
>>
>>2555841
It's not so much philosophy proper as it is useful background. A lot of western philosophy is either directly responding to the bible or (indirectly) responding to people responding to the bible.

All of my arguments can be justified by quoting Aristotle or the Bible
>t. scholastics

Fuck you niggers
>t. early modern
>>
>>2560003
Oh ok, fair enough. I'll probably give them a read.
>>
File: 1482204508542.gif (554KB, 250x188px) Image search: [Google]
1482204508542.gif
554KB, 250x188px
>>2555816
>mediocre IQ.
>>
>>2560183
The Bible yes. Not the Talmud or Koran. They have nothing to do with Western civilization.

Also read the NT.
>>
>>2555816
check out Platos philosophys
and maybe the text book Archetypes of Wisdom
>>
File: 1490134350515.jpg (582KB, 1600x1131px) Image search: [Google]
1490134350515.jpg
582KB, 1600x1131px
>>2555816
save this chart
>>
Probably Hegel to be honest
>>
>>2560221
Nice, never thought /pol/ would come in handy.
>>
>>2560203
Yeah I'm not the brightest boy on the block.
>>
>>2558295
when do you suppose physics became a study
>>
>>2560641
The Pre-Socratics through the Egyptians.
>>
>>2560641
When man first dropped a rock on the ground.
>>
Plato is entry level

Descartes is quite easy too but its mostly shit
>>
>>2558272
Pretty much. Decent introduction into stoic philosophy.
>>
>>2558295
What? Philosophy isn't a hard or soft science.
Thread posts: 47
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.