[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Helmets vs Hats

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

Why were helmets phased out of mainstream military use for the couple of centuries following the medieval era?
And why were they suddenly re-instituted in the form of German pickelhaubes etc., becoming increasingly common/improved
during and following the First World War until becoming a staple of any military outfit as we see today? I'd recon a velvet hat
like in pic related with wouldn't fair very well against shrapnel or muskets. Was it a cultural thing?
>>
Medieval armour was not suited to deal with firearms in the way that later WW1 era helmets were, and those designs did not exist in the era of pike and shot.
>>
>>2549724
Helmets phased out with guns
Helmets phased back in with artillery

That's all, simple
>>
Because in that period there was nothing that could stop a head wound from that which could wound the head, and in any case you'd end up being shot in the chest or the legs, the big parts, more than you would the head.
Shrapnel became a big issue because explosives + being in a trench meant most threats, assuming you weren't dumb enough to stick your head up, came from above, like shrapnel.
>>
>>2549731
Artillery was around for exactly the same amount of time guns were though
>>
>>2549742
Artillery of the 1st word war was more explosive, in greater amounts, traveled at a greater angle, and some air burst shells were available. And again, threats to a soldier came mostly from above, as opposed to in front.
>>
>>2549760
and even modern area helemts arent to protect from bullets either, its to protect the head from shrapnel, and reduce injury from collisons with walls, debris, doorways and such
>>
>>2549742
>>2549742
Tell me about widespread effective usage of massed HE artillery in the 1700s and 1800s anon
>>
>>2549773
Not those anons but mortars would fit the bill. However HE-type rounds aren't as important as airburst rounds and a reliable one of those didn't come around until the radio did.
>>
>>2549769
Are ground pounders really that retarded they need helmets to keep them from bumping their heads into walls?
>>
>>2549783
Mortars had very little effect on overall casualties during that period
>>
>>2549795
if some sort of concussion causes one to lose balance, since there's a lot of concussion in battlefields, it's better to hit the wall with a helmet than without.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.