[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Language

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

File: 427px-XYZ_model.jpg (51KB, 427x600px) Image search: [Google]
427px-XYZ_model.jpg
51KB, 427x600px
hey /his/, what are some unique features of languages? (e.g. languages that use cardinal directions instead of relative directions).
pic unrelated.
>>
Mixtec appears to be the only language that does not differentiate between declaratives and interrogatives.

http://wals.info/feature/116A#2/22.6/152.8
>>
>>2549430
Why isn't do-support considered an interrogative particle?
>>
Moonrunes appears to be the only language used in all animes.
>>
>>2549106
Many Indian and Indo-Iranian languages have split-ergativity, meaning that in the past tense, transitive verbs conjugate as if the object was performing the action and the real subject takes the oblique case.

It was a pain in the ass when I tried learning Hindi/Urdu.
>>
>>2549474
Is that like how in French you say 'tu me manques' as 'I miss you' even though 'you' is the subject in the sentence?
>>
>>2549490
It looks somewhat like that but I've never studied French.

"I read the book" becomes "The book read me." in languages with split-ergativity.
>>
>>2549523
Yeah that's how it is in french
>>
>>2549430
so it doesn't differentiate or does it favour one over the other?
>>
>>2549456
Pure guess: do-support only occurs in the absence of auxillaries or modals; whereas a true question particle would appear in all cases.
>>
>>2549490
Not really, the literal translation of that would be sth like"You are missing to me". So the verb actually has a different meaning, i.e. the english active "to be missing"= "to be absent", not "to miss sth".
>>
>>2549106
Russians don't have a single world for blue. They have goluboy - light blue and siniy - dark blue.
This actually makes them better at differentiating between different shades of blue.
>>
>>2553176
Isn't the no word or blue in,Japanese, the word for green includes blue hues? I might be making this up but one of you weeaboos will surely jump in to clear up the facts.
>>
>>2554037
There is in modern times. Traditionally aoi was used for both. Now you have aoi and midori.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.