[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How does Orthodoxy deviate from Catholicism?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

I've grown up an American Protestant, but have lately been interested in a sect of Christianity with more tradition, history, and custom.
Naturally, the first choice is perhaps Lutheranism or Catholicism. Lutheranism is a distinct possibility, but Catholicism is out of the question largely because of my family's anti-Catholic stance.
This has me of course interested in Orthodoxy, seemingly Catholics without being Catholic. My really question is how they differentiate. Do Orthodox do things that a Protestant would be opposed to like a Catholic would?
>>
>>2547104

Ona popa many a popa.
>>
File: jesus.jpg (385KB, 1100x2127px) Image search: [Google]
jesus.jpg
385KB, 1100x2127px
>>2547104
they came out of two different cultural contexts.

Catholics = Western Europe
Orthodox = Eastern/Byzantine/Greek Europe
>>
>>2547112
Wud the fugg

>>2547129
I have read about Stoic philosophy, and the Orthodox believe that Apatheia is the ideal state of prayer iirc.
Is this an example of that?
>>
>>2547141

The Catholic they gotta ona popa; the otha legg wanna mora de popa, so dey got 10 de popas.
>>
>>2547104
In terms of everyday prayer and worship there are only a few practical differences. Orthodox are more likely to use traditional hymns, but htey both practice things like the Eucharist and the literal body of Christ, they both practice saint veneration. Orthodox use 2D icons rather than statues but do things like kiss them that a protestant would frown on.

They disagree on a few things but are united in their belief that early Christianity confirms their structure and theology.

I think the only reason protestants are not more against them is they really dont know much about the orthodox other than that they dont follow the pope.
>>
The same abuse problems in catholicism are present in orthodoxy. They're just better at hiding it.

http://www.pokrov.org/
>>
>>2547141
Mainly it's about questioning the Pope's primacy. Or the other way around. The Pope wanting to be above other Patriarchs because muh saint Peter.
>>
There are some old videos of Frank Schaeffer explaining why he converted from protestantism to orthodoxy. Funny thing is he eventually grew disillusioned with orthodoxy and is now an atheist.
>>
File: dtw.png (52KB, 215x447px) Image search: [Google]
dtw.png
52KB, 215x447px
>>2547104
Unlike Catholics, who are somewhat more internationalistic, because they have huge amount of followers and they have one center, in Rome, Orthodox Churches may appear more "nationalistic", in a way that most of Srthodox nations have separate churches, with Lithurgy in national languages, and church is generaly looked as one of the pillars of nation, especially among us Slavs who suffered under foreign rule for a long time, since priests were to us what teachers were in the west. If you want to go in a more in depth analysis read about filioque. Also since you are American find some books by monk Seraphim Rose, American who converted to orthodoxy and touches many of the subjects you might be interested in.
>>
>>2547104

Both are Catholic actually. The official name of Orthodoxy is Orthodox Catholic Church. And Catholic just means universal btw.

One is the Latin branch and the other the Greek branch that separated in the XI century in the Great Schism. Doctrinal theological stand is very similar between the two, the major differencess are in iconic aspects like the Pope-Patriarchs issue, celibacy and a bit of the liturgy.
>>
Real question is how liberalized, Americanized, and HIV positive in general is Burguerdox Burch in Burguerland? Do they have snake handling and LGBT "priests" yet? Is MLK Jr. considered a saint and St. John Chrysostom excommunicated yet?
>>
>>2547168
>but do things like kiss them that a protestant would frown on.
Protestants frown on kissing their own children. But maybe this is just an Anglo/nordcuck autistic phenomena
>>
>>2547165
Absolutely retarded.
I believe thia guy is refering to the patriarchs, and they are nothing like the pope. Just refer to this post >>2547356
>>
>>2547104
Orthodocucks are against phyletism
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.