[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

To Kill a Knight

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 2

File: 1390605147961.jpg (278KB, 1049x708px) Image search: [Google]
1390605147961.jpg
278KB, 1049x708px
How hard was it to kill a man with a full suit of 14th century plate armor, circa the mid to late 100 Years' War?

Being pretty much a shell of tempered steel, I would think it all but impossible to kill the knight, unless he was brought down to the ground and then stabbed in one of the few weak points in the armor(small gaps, the eye holes, ect). And although blunt weapons, as far as I've heard, do exceptionally well against plate armor(what with maces, hammers and smack people with the butt end of the sword), There seems to be little in the way to kill a armored knight in melee.

But I must ask: Can, in the course of one battle, the plate armor become so damaged that it would break? Sort of "flake off"?

I'd assume that there had to be some degree of fragility, however minute, if shields were still a vital part of a knight's kit.

Also, feel free to turn this into a general armor discussion. I will bump with pictures periodically. Thank you in advance for any answers!
>>
Shoot him with a crossbow
>>
Hit that cunt on the head with something hard enough and you don't need to break the armor. Or alternatively, punch through it with a spike.

People used shit like maces and warhammers for a reason. You can brain somebody in full plate a lot easier than you can stab them.
>>
File: 1460186443512.jpg (2MB, 2288x2788px) Image search: [Google]
1460186443512.jpg
2MB, 2288x2788px
>>2544652
Are spears good at puncturing plate?

I'd assume they would be, especially if you put a great deal of your weight behind it.

So, the only real options are to bash him with a blunt weapon, punch through it with a spike or polearm/spear of some kind?

Also, was there any validity to what I heard about knight's getting pinned and finished off?

I always assumed a knight would be beyond fucked if a gaggle of like three or five guys pinned him down, tore off his visor and went to town on his face with daggers and sharpened sticks.
>>
>>2544681

I think generally stuff like halberds, warhammers, warpicks, etc were more effective than spears at puncturing plate.

And really with bunt stuff the head isn't necessary, you could incapacitate/kill someone by hitting them hard enough in the chest, you could easily break an arm or leg, etc.

And as for getting pinned and finished off, I'd imagine it happened plenty, but obviously the ideal was to get them to yield and then ransom them. But yes, grappling and subduing someone was a very relevant skill, and if you had numbers all the better.
>>
>>2544681
How this guy didn't domm the guck out of medi

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Retiarius
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.