[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Philosophy - Liberty.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

File: 1461714251812.jpg (92KB, 554x700px) Image search: [Google]
1461714251812.jpg
92KB, 554x700px
I'm writing a Political Philosophy paper and I don't speak to any of the folk in the seminar so I need to have a discussion somewhere. Any input and discussion would be much appreciated.

Either I answer the question on Marx critique of Capitalism or one on Liberty. The Marx question seems a little dull and there is already boundless material evaluating it already. I'm more interested in the question on Liberty therefore I would like to gauge some different responses/viewpoints. Lets try and keep memeing and shit flinging to a minimum.

So, what is the greatest threat to Liberty in the United Kingdom today? I am planning to argue that the greatest threat to liberty in the UK is the culture of 'political correctness' which shuts down logical debate concerning serious issues (immigration, islamisation of societies, leaving the EU) and how the cult of social media attempts to stop people from speaking about un-popular beliefs and opinions. Effectively shutting down free speech through attempts of character assassination (labelling someone homophobic/xenophobic/racist/white-supremacist). I'm curious as to how popular my answer will be with the person grading however I feel it should not matter as they are always bitching about how 99% of the papers they receive argue the same point.

TLDR; Discussion - What is the GREATEST threat to Liberty in the United Kingdom today?
>>
The EU
>>
>monarchist country
>liberty

Kek
e
k
>>
>>2543284
Why is that friend ? I mean in what way does the EU directly threaten our liberty ? Are you referring to how we have no input to laws they can pass and how they dictate immigrant intake ?
>>
>>2543298
>kek

not an argument...
>>
>>2543279
I pretty much agree with your analysis OP. I even wrote an essay on it myself when my regiment did an officers' conceptual development week. Unfortunately it's on the military system so I can't upload it for you but I remember banging on about "post truth" and "fake news" as well as political correctness, social media, dictated discourse, mandated opinions and other such stuff.

It's easy to come up with your own buzzwords/phrases, just make sure you explain them when you do.

I think you should write that essay.
>>
>>2543326
Thanks anon I needed a little encouragement from somewhere lol Like i say there is not many people even attending the seminars because they are not compulsory and those who do look like raging feminazis (facial piercings half hair shaved other half luminous purple) And the best way to formulate your argument is through discussion with others.
>>
>>2543357
Just make sure you actually take time writing your essay. Do a quick bullet-point plan listing all your points/arguments/topics. Then below each bullet point write the paragraph on it. Spend time writing it well and take the time to go back over it and edit and adjust accordingly.

If necessary use plenty of evidence and sources.

I'd hate for an essay on something like this to have any weaknesses that self-righteous cunts can latch on to and use to discredit you and your work.
>>
>>2543279
Are you currently enrolled in utrecht university at this time? I'm asking because i have to do exactly the same but i'm defending Foucault.
>>
File: JsPRtnil.jpg (51KB, 360x640px) Image search: [Google]
JsPRtnil.jpg
51KB, 360x640px
>>2543576
Oh wait never mind you're talking about the UK.
>>
>>2543576
Yeah I am in Scotland. Its hard to find normal people to discuss with at the uni apart from one or two of the professors but they are hard to get a hold of.
>>
>>2543279
The same thing that is the greatest threat to liberty in the West altogether; leftism.
>>
>>2543298

Senpai the Monarchy hasn't had any real power in centuries.
>>
>>2543279

Aren't you language policing the very people you're accusing of language policing with this essay?

Aren't you 'effectively shutting down free speech' by characterising their expression as 'labelling' and 'character assassination' and demonising their speech as 'the greatest threat to liberty in the UK' when all they're doing is expressing their political beliefs and opinions?

It sounds like you're positing political correctness as a single-edged sword. I'd suggest that it cuts both ways. For instance, people have been pilloried in certain sections of the British press for taking an anti-Brexit stance. Is that free expression from the likes of the Daily Mail or is it another form of the political correctness that you see as the greatest threat to liberty in the UK?

In my opinion there are pitfalls to making a free speech argument if you start accusing others of engaging in undesirable speech.

As for what the greatest threat to liberty in the United Kingdom is... I would suggest that it's the lack of an entrenched constitution. Most of our fundamental rights are at the mercy of a simple parliamentary majority, especially if the Human Rights Act is repealed (as has been mooted for some time now) and we withdraw from the ECHR.

A demagogue with strong authority within his own party could run this country into the ground with alarming speed if he were elected PM.
>>
>>2543279
if ur clever enough u can analyse christianity and it history with the uk as there was alot of issues with religious liberty between pagans and christians and how it has contributed to what the uk is today
>>
>>2544119
I dont think the point is that he is criticizing the nature of their beliefs and therefore the "correctness" of their speech, but rather that their often unforgiving (and in the case of american college campuses, openly violent) refusal to give dissenting opinions a platform is regressive.
If he had a problem with others having different political opinions than him then he wouldnt argue from the stance of free speech at all.
>>
>>2544119
Thanks for your insight it is much appreciated.

>A demagogue with strong authority within his own party could run this country into the ground with alarming speed if he were elected PM.

How do you imagine something like this could happen though?

>I would suggest that it's the lack of an entrenched constitution.

But in the United States the constitution is often disregarded, especially under the guise of things like 'countering terrorism' (NSA spying for example)
>>
>>2544200
Yeah i think this is worded better, I mean their is the aspect of physically shutting people down like we can see numerous examples these past two years in America, then there is the examples of people who had their employers/schools/colleges contacted for making what some group has deemed a fascit/sexist tweet. So not a physical attack but potentially more harmful. There is the right to disagree with someones views or speech but when you get in to the realm of accusing somebody of committing 'hate crime', punishable by jail time, then working with groups to manipulate a prosecution of some sort is this not....dare i say, fascist behavior ?
>>
>>2544238
Virtual gagging to suppress challenging opinions.
>>
>>2544119

Only good post ITT
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.