[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Tell me why monotheists dominated the world?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 10

Tell me why monotheists dominated the world?
>>
>>2540564
They're dicks.
>>
they spread like late stage cancer.
>>
>>2540564
universalism

polytheistic religions are "our people only"
>>
Even hinduisim is kinda monothiestic. Reason for that I guess is because there is one and only God? Even athiests cant deny the appeal for that
>>
None of the World's major religions are monotheistic. This is just plain fucking retardish to presume any of them are.
>>
it is very simple to understand, not abstract at all like other religions.

it encourages very cohesive social order because of this ie gods commands are very black and white. Societys that use monotheism as a base tend to develop really well
>>
File: 2vct2dd.png (215KB, 680x608px) Image search: [Google]
2vct2dd.png
215KB, 680x608px
>>2540564
because its Allah's world, we are just living in it
>>
>>2540665
This. The idea of a "chosen race" is unheard of in monotheistic traditions.
>>
>>2541361
Is this sarcasm?
>>
>>2541214
are you fucking stupid?
>>
catholics arent monotheists, only christians and mohammedans are truly monotheists
>>
Rodney Stark claims they're just better in his books, but he never specifies why iirc.

I think the debate should be scriptural religions vs oral religions, instead of monotheism vs polytheism. Even most polytheistic faiths can recognize a divine hierarchy; lesser gods serving greater ones, in service to the king god himself. Monotheism in one form or another is usually the end result, even as people worship a variety of dieties.

Religions written down and repeatedly copied will survive, and will eventually opt for a "great god". The main exception is Buddhism where the question of god is useless and irrelevant.
>>
>>2541374
No, monotheism is open to all, polytheism is exclusive and limited.

The idea that the gods would choose a certain tribe and back their military exploits is obsured in the eyes of monotheists.
>>
>>2541397
Mohammedans aren't monotheist either.
Islam has pagan origins.

Only Bible is monotheist.
>>
>>2541452
Jews started as henotheists
>>
>>2541452

So God is his own son and also a disembodied ghost?
>>
>>2541469
The father is neither Jesus nor Casper; God is the father, Jesus, and Casper. However, the father, Jesus, and Casper are three separate existences of the one God, all three always existing as one God at all times.
>>
File: CK6aONG.jpg (652KB, 2048x1252px) Image search: [Google]
CK6aONG.jpg
652KB, 2048x1252px
>>2540564
>>
File: 5-2.jpg (119KB, 800x400px) Image search: [Google]
5-2.jpg
119KB, 800x400px
>>
File: theism.png (6KB, 260x152px) Image search: [Google]
theism.png
6KB, 260x152px
what happens here?
>>
File: 1427748151992.jpg (34KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1427748151992.jpg
34KB, 500x500px
>>2541446

anon, are you serious?
>>
>>2541503
Tribes
>>
>>2541452
*worships three gods*
>>
>>2540564
Because the idea of a singular God made a comfortable parallel to the idea of a singular ruler. (often ruling through the blessing of that singular God). So empires and rulers imposed monotheistic religions.
>>
>>2541995
Are you kidding? Polytheism is extremely popular among bureaucratic states.
>>
>>2541361
And the jews ?
>>
>>2541999
What are you even saying? Bureaucratic states? I'm just saying they taught us in school that The Roman Empire embraced Christianity because the Emperor at the time thought it would strengthen his rule by claiming to derive his right to rule directly from God, and if all the different peoples and cultures of the Empire got converted to a singular religion it would be easier to rule over them.

Basically he thought it convenient to proclaim there being a singular God and him being his first direct servant on Earth (first and only direct "distributor" of God's will) to all people. Cue Church Schism, cue Catholic Rome, cue Byzantine, cue colonization and spread of Christianity either by conquest or by other nations adopting it either for the same benefit to the ruler or in order to not get diplomatically blocked by influential and powerful Christian states for being heathens. Basically, once it became popular and hip to be Christian you had to be in order to not get ignored and bullied by the cool rich kids.

The problem with Judaism was that it's restricted to a specific ethnic group, while Christianity doesn't have that restriction, so it's like the freeware version of Judaism.

Even when you look at Islam it's the same thing. Allah is the only God and Muhammad is his prophet. Turns out it's very convenient to claim your right to rule is derived directly by God and his will. Islam is basically the latest version of the same freeware anyway.
>>
>>2542187
not really, forcefully converting the populace and getting involved in christian battles over doctrine caused quite a bit of upheaval in the 4th century.
>>
>>2542187
Christianity or Islam are literally slave/enslaving religions.

>You are poor? Embrace it and you will go to heaven :) Let me exploit you, it is gods will!
>Those dirty savages must be genocided! They don't believe in god! You shall not kill? Nah that doesn't apply to savages.
>>
File: MWnlkbo.jpg (623KB, 2048x1252px) Image search: [Google]
MWnlkbo.jpg
623KB, 2048x1252px
>>2540564
Pic related.
>>
File: 1483152569279.png (89KB, 399x382px) Image search: [Google]
1483152569279.png
89KB, 399x382px
>>2541507
>>
>>2541452
>Be the Prophet Muhammad in 607AD
>God tells you to purge the paganism introduced into the religion by Christians who worship the prophet Jesus as though he were God
>fast forward 1400 years
>Consiracy theorist protestants in the United States claim Islam is the pagan and their trinity is clearly more monotheist on a website for autists

You guys are too much
>>
>>2542187
No correlation exist between states with strong rulers and monotheism except in your head
>>
>>2542503
Islam. Throw out 359 of 360 pagan gods and keep just the one, the one Mohammad's daddy worshiped.

Ba'al.
>>
>>2542540
Christians never worshiped the One God, they were led astray by the cult of Jesus.
Now you don't even recognize God since you've replaced him with a man, so you think he is one of your Demons from the Old Testament.
Christians are lost.
>>
>>2542503
>>2542540
>>2542572
This is some top banter.
>>
>>2542540
Bruh... Have you even read the Quran? You know there's a passage featuring Elijah where they call for pagans to denounce Ba'al as a fake deity and turn instead to Allah(literally just arabic for God).

Source
>Quran 37:124 to 130
The story is of Elias, the arabic naming convention for the prophet Elijah
>>
File: morethanonepersonthinkshesdumb.png (5KB, 308x102px) Image search: [Google]
morethanonepersonthinkshesdumb.png
5KB, 308x102px
>>2542581
I'm not the only one who thinks that guy is dumb. He's probably a brainwashed /pol/tard
>>
>>2541503
Immigrants from India
>>
>>2541503
Weird electric storms and frogs.
>>
Monotheism holds a more powerful notion. The idea that there is one entity that is above EVERYTHING else. It has a more thematic resonance with the competitive element within all humans.
Which might explain why the best societies share monotheism - because monotheism appeals to the most competitive people.
>>
>>2540564
Monotheism is very easy to make dogmatic because its
>OBEY MY MAN OR ILL KILL YOU
Polytheism is multiple gods so its not close.
>>
>>2541227

this is the real answer. simplicity. before the 1800s almost everyone was a complete moron, now only most people are.
>>
>>2540564
most religions: This is how the world is, just be a good person and you'll be fine in the afterlife.
christfags and mudslimes: This is how the world is AND IF YOU DON'T AGREE YOU'LL BURN IN HELL BUT IF YOU GIVE ME MONEY YOU'LL ENJOY ETERNAL PARADISE
>>
>>2541361
Great counterargument. Thing is the two dominant monotheistic religions are universalist.

Polytheism is passed from father to son, only people who join polytheistic religions are either californiods looking for exotic fashion accessory or "muh ancestors" LARPers.

>>2542004
Wait...aren't they they supposed to dominate world?
>>
>>2540564
I'm not sure that what you describe as monotheistic religion it's actually what those people had.
>>
>>2540564
Less factionalism between disparate gods, better organization, theological consistency
>>
Most Christians aren't monotheists, so there really aren't that many.
Thread posts: 49
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.