[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/his/, why are so many people moral relativists?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

File: ok.jpg (73KB, 638x479px) Image search: [Google]
ok.jpg
73KB, 638x479px
/his/, why are so many people moral relativists?
>>
>>2537938
Because moral relativism is true
>>
>>2537938
So they can be their own judges, and let themselves off lightly.
>>
I think that Moral Relativism depends on what your culture considers exceptable.
>>
>>2537938
Due to religion. Easy to just faff about if you say morals are relative to the mood of your God.
>>
Because it is easier than standing up for the truth or for what you believe in.
>>
It's easier to be a relativist than actually take hard, morally-backed positions on ethical problems.
>>
>>2537962
Believing in something is not exclusive with knowing that your morals are relative
>>
>>2537942
/thread
>>
Why go through the dirty work of defining your morals when you can just say "what they're doing is okay because their culture says so"?
>>
Because what was considered vulgar 50 years ago is family mundane now, so the idea that morality is universal is harder to believe.

The Sexual revolution really, people respect the older generation's morality but follow their own.
>>
>>2537973
then why do moral relativists always use relativism to shut down people arguing for or acting to carry out their morals in the world?
>>
>>2537973
You're completely right.
Moral relativism is even a favoured stance for a lot of believers, because it allows them to deflect criticism of their beliefs.

It is only exclusive with standing up for them.
>>
>>2537942
how would that explain why so many people are relativists today?
what are you saying has happened recently such that tons of people suddenly know relativism is true?
>>
>>2538004
Because they don't like your morals
>>2538012
Any enforcement of "morality" is really only an exercise of power over others. Why not admit to it and hold beliefs anyways?
>>
>>2537942
No oxymorons are true.
Relative moralism is an oxymoron.
Therefore relative moralism is not true.
>>
>>2538042
It depends on how you define morality.
>>
>>2538039
> Any enforcement of "morality" is really only an exercise of power over others. Why not admit to it and hold beliefs anyways?
I'm not sure what you're getting at.
Yes, enforcement means exercising power.
People who think their morals are the best there is usually try to enforce them and are willing to admit to it.
Why not ?
Well, one reason not to would be to avoid confronting one's beliefs with others, and preserving them that way.
>>
>>2538039
>Because they don't like your morals
you don't understand, I'm saying that relativists use the claim that morality is relative to argue against other people's claims that certain things are right or wrong
this means that moral relativists think that moral relativism is a reason not to judge things as right or wrong
relativists argue that we should not invade and overtake some other culture because it is supposedly worse than ours, and they argue that on the basis that values are relative (so we are only better relative to our standards, while they may be better relative to their standards)
>>
>>2538060
"A slightly pink puffer fish."
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.