[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Classics: Where can I learn it?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

File: classics.jpg (30KB, 720x320px) Image search: [Google]
classics.jpg
30KB, 720x320px
Does anon know any good free web resources for getting an classical education? Classical studies about Greco-Roman culture
>>
pls respond, anons
>>
The free Open Yale course on Ancient Greek History is great. You could also pirate plenty of Teaching Company courses on various aspects of the field.
>>
>>2536224
youtube yale courses
Project Gutenberg for a ton of texts, many in the original latin or greek alongside english so youll know what the fuck.

All you have to do is Google what an education of this type would entail, and then just search the web for the books and commentaries on the books.
>>
>>2536224
It's too late for you if you weren't taught Latin and Greek at a prep school.
>>
>>2536224

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trivium
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quadrivium

You should read the classics in the original languages, i.e. Koine Greek and Latin. In other words, you will have to learn a new language with no living speakers to read.
Learn French to read statecraft texts.
Learn German to read autistic philosophy.

Good luck
>>
>>2538207
tfw

I'm taking an attic greek class in my free time but I wish this shit was taught to me when I was a kid, instead of retarded books about racism and animal farm

FUCK
>>
>>2536224
Join the French Foreign Legion
>>
>>2539049

where/how did you go about finding an attic greek course?

just a university or something?
>>
>>2540941
Yes but not all offer the course.

You can probably teach yourself though. Find and complete a good text book (I recommend Athenazde but the options are endless), then pick up a grammar and lexicon, and start reading Xenophon, or maybe the Book of John. By the time you're through book one you'll be ready to start picking through mostly anything.

A warning : Ancient Greek is rather difficult, so prepare for a difficult road. Lots of strange verb tenses and the idiom isn't as similar to ours as even Latin. The rewards are plentiful however!
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.