[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Pyrrhus of Epirus - War Elephants - Rome

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

File: 20170320-104127_Pyrrhus_route.jpg (26KB, 588x456px) Image search: [Google]
20170320-104127_Pyrrhus_route.jpg
26KB, 588x456px
Did the Romans know about war elephants before Pyrrhus?
>>
>Carthage
>stories of Seleucid/Ptolemy wars

I think so.
>>
>>2536115
I'm aware of no source indicating they faced them on the field of battle. They were, however, in the Greek cultural sphere, so they had probably heard stories from things like Alexander's expedition to India.
>>
>>2536115
They probably knew about them but never would've faced them since only the Carthaginians would've had them nearby and they never fought them at this point. Also the common Roman soldier who wasn't of patrician birth and better educated in global stuff probably had no idea what they were and thought they were monsters.

>>2536160
I do think that during antiquity elephants inhabited parts of Syria and North Africa.
>>
>>2536154
The Punic wars started after the Pyrrhic war, and IIRC elephants weren't even used by Carthage against Rome until the Second Punic War - about a half a century after Pyrrhus' war.

>>2536196
>I do think that during antiquity elephants inhabited parts of Syria and North Africa
You're right - there were subspecies of elephant in both North Africa and Syria. The Syrian elephants were more closely related to Indian ones, but they went extinct around the time of the Second Punic War. The North African elephants that Carthage used were actually fairly small. They were considered inferior to the Indian ones used by the Selucids, and were supposedly the same size as the smaller subspecies of African elephant.
>>
>>2536115
I wish Pyrrhus won
>>
>>2536361
But he did. Until it was silly to continue.
>>
>>2536367
So that's what "Pyrrhic Victory" means?
>>
>>2536421
Anon, are ok ?
>>
>>2536435
Don't worry, it was an attempt at a joke ^^
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.