[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Recessions

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: nchilada.jpg (177KB, 506x375px) Image search: [Google]
nchilada.jpg
177KB, 506x375px
How does the 2008 recession stack up with historical recessions? Most people tend to focus on the Great Recession and the Great Depression, but are there any crises that stack up to those, perhaps the Long Depression (1873-79) or the Panic of 1893 (93-97)?

Were the Dot Com Bubble or S&L Crisis on any comparable level to these crises? What was it like living through those, if any anons know.
>>
>>2535855
In terms of American recessions, it's the worst one since the depression by far. Probably the third worst in our history behind the Panic of 1893.

>Dot Com Bubble
The Dot Com Bubble wasn't even that bad for most people. It only really affected certain industries.

>S&L Crisis
Also wasn't that bad as consumer confidence was so still high that people barely noticed there was a recession going on.

Honestly, outside of the Depression, there's nothing in U.S. history that compares to the 1990 bust in Japan. Their central bank is still in recovery mode and it's been 27 years.
>>
>>2535863
Yeah, Japan's pretty shit. Is there any hope for them? It seems like Japan has a few problems:

1. Inflating the Yen is a bitch because it's a global safe have for investors

2. Low productivity

3. Large number of retirees/demographics

The only way I can see them getting out of this is through increased automation to make up for their lower population and maybe using monetary policy to do a helicopter drop, Friedman style.
>>
>>2535863
Also, why was the Panic of 1893 so specifically bad? How does the Long Depression stack up?
>>
>>2535874
>why was the Panic of 1893 so specifically bad
Imagine the Great Depression and add the fact that the silver crisis gutted currency as well. Unemployment wasn't as high, but the currency issue meant that EVERYONE was severely affected. A little known fact about the Panic is that it also strained German-American relations and was a factor leading Germany to double down on colonialism in 1895.
>>
the plebs shouldn't into finance
>>
>>2535855
I've heard it called the small depression by some, so yeah pretty bad.
>>
>>2535863
Why are you ignoring 1980-1983 recession?

10.4% unemployment, mass crime sprees/drug use, and 8% fall in GDP.
>>
>>2535863
>S&L
There was no recession in 1987...

Wew this board
>>
>>2535855

The Great Slump is one of the possible contributing factors that led to the Wars of the Roses.
>>
>>2537775
The S&L crisis lasted a lot longer than 1987 and directly contributed to the 1990 recession. Wew yourself lad
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.