[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Ancient PTSD

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4

File: 504c04b2b38835630a43939d48e9933f.jpg (131KB, 1280x505px) Image search: [Google]
504c04b2b38835630a43939d48e9933f.jpg
131KB, 1280x505px
Did ancient warriors suffer from post traumatic stress disorder?

Today's soldiers often have psychological problems from modern wars. It's a combination of possibly killing so many people, having your friends killed, artillery barrages, and constant fear that you may be killed in an instant;by snipers, mines, aerial strikes, suicide bombers, chemical weapons, etc.

you don't read about many ancient warriors being phased by battle. Maybe they didn't suffer as much because it was expected or they just never wrote about it because it wasn't masculine.

Was ancient hand to hand combat and violence easier to handle mentally than modern warfare?
>>
Sure. We know about PTSD now because we focus strongly on "mental health" and there's an entire science and profession devoted to treating mental disorders, and even the military itself is in on it now and keeps an eye for out.

Nobody was thinking in those terms back then, men were kings of their homes and divorce or other recourse for a bad marriage was unavailable. So if daddy wanted to get a load on, beat the crap out of the wife, beat the crap out of the kids, fuck around carousing and getting into trouble and starting fights and so on, all the stuff we see traumatized people doing now, it would not really have been commented on. Perhaps there MIGHT be some attempts at intervention by family or something, depending on your cultural situation, if it got bad enough, but mostly you would have been free to self-destruct and otherwise act out your trauma as you like.
>>
>>2533096
PTSD is mostly the result of prolonged exposure to a situation in which you can be attacked at any time.

In the past, wars had distinct battles separated by lots of down time. Now, we're fighting counter-insurgency actions where soldiers just patrol around waiting to step on a mine or get shot by someone dressed as a civilian. It's a completely different experience. A modern soldier spends years in a situation where he can't compartmentalize battle away from ordinary life.

It's no surprise that they have a harder time adapting back to civilian life than soldiers in antiquity did.
>>
File: 1471888110992.jpg (221KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1471888110992.jpg
221KB, 1000x1000px
Does anyone else wish they could go back in time and set up a modern PTSD support group for shellshocked WWI veterans?
It makes me so sad whenever I think about how they were treated back home after all their suffering in the trenches ;_;
>>
>>2533194
I'd rather go back and shoot all the cunts who shamed men into becoming soldiers.
>>
>>2533209
>tfw even if you went back to save franz ferdinand it wouldn't change a damn thing
>>
>>2533096
It probably WAS less common in the past because war was less drawn out, i mean you march out have a battle then that's it most of the time.
Then when they get home they're ore likely to be surrounded by veterans.
A lot of what troubles modern vets is coming back to civilian life and no one really understanding.
Considering how the greeks openly cry and shit i dont think they would be that over the top about hiding their emotions.
>>
How many times do we have to have this fucking thread
/his/ is like fucking groundhog day, the same dozen threads over and over
>>
>>2533194
No.

Hitler would have been calmed down and would never have fallen under the influence of the Thule Society, and in the end communism would have gradually spread and engulfed the whole world.
>>
>>2533096
https://youtu.be/FDNyU1TQUXg
>>
>it's another child comes to 4chan for homework advice thread.
>>
Because someone will inevitably post it, the description of Hotspur in Henry IV part 1 probably isn't PTSD. Consider immediately before he is angrily reading a letter from one of his men who is warning him the rebellion is a bad idea, while he tries to justify it to himself. His wife also specifically says he's only been like that for 2 weeks, which is how long he's been planning. He's worrying about the battle to come, not reliving past ones.
>>
>this wouldn't cause PTSD
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9QuO09z-SI

Psychological warfare was massive back then, and pretty much outlawed today.

PTSD today and PTSD then are the only thing which would change, the sound of warfare. The sounds which trigger it would change.

But I mean, if you think you can stay mentally strong weeks in the shit, walking with your legionnaire through enemy territory with literally no back up. Weeks, if months from any sort of help from your army. You are fucking kidding yourself.

Pitched battles could last days, with men staring at each other, taking arrow volley after arrow volley.

We have rules today for a reason.
>>
>>2533096
>you don't read about many ancient warriors being phased by battle
You do if you actually read accounts from people who saw war, you insufferable faggot.
>>
I don't have the source, but I remember reading about knights that would scream when they slept.
>>
>>2533096

Read the Iliad. There's a lot of stuff about soldiers remembering dead mens' faces and shit. You could also argue that Achilles' desire to avenge Patroclus and humiliate Hector's corpse plays into that as well.
>>
There's one major factor that we have now which has only emerged recently: physical trauma to the brain as a result of shock waves from explosions and the like causing micro tears in brain tissue.

So it could be that PTSD is actually more debilitating now than it used to be.
>>
>"In this profession one has to endure heat, hunger and hard work, to sleep little and often to keep watch. And to be exhausted and to sleep uncomfortably on the ground only to be abruptly awakened. And you will be powerless to change the situation. You will often be afraid when you see your enemies coming towards you with lowered lances to run you through and with drawn swords to cut you down. Bolts and arrows come at you and you do not know how best to protect yourself. You see people killing each other, fleeing, dying and being taken prisoner and you see the bodies of your dead friends lying before you. But your horse is not dead, and by its vigorous speed you can escape in dishonour. But if you stay, you will win eternal honour. Is he not a great martyr, who puts himself to such work?" - Geoffroi de Charny
>>
>>2533700
>Hitler
>PTSD
Hitler openly enjoyed war and had a cushy job that took him away from the front lines quite a lot of the time, he didn't have PTSD.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.