[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Was it necessary to destroy Carthage? Sounded pretty brutal.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 3

File: carthage.png (718KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
carthage.png
718KB, 800x800px
Was it necessary to destroy Carthage? Sounded pretty brutal.
>>
File: 1456828874252.jpg (112KB, 677x782px) Image search: [Google]
1456828874252.jpg
112KB, 677x782px
It was pretty overkill, and I'm a Romaboo. Made for some great imagery and dramatic prose though
>TFW Scipio Aemilanus sobbing over the destruction of Carthage, realizing some day this too will happen to Rome
>>
File: 1461881972806.jpg (138KB, 800x572px) Image search: [Google]
1461881972806.jpg
138KB, 800x572px
>>2532675
No.
It was both unnecessary and a crime against humanity. So much culture, knowledge, talent lost.
>>
Becuase they just caused so much trouble
>>
>>2532675
Probably not. Another victory leading into a treaty keeping carthage as a small empire would've probably done the trick. But nothing will guarantee that carthage won't just break that treaty and things would always be uncomfortable considering their past conflicts.

Cato was just tired of their shit and went full on carthago delena est on them. It's a shame, lots of history was destroyed with the last punic war.
>>
>>2532675
It was brutal and perhaps unnecessary as Carthage had posed no threat anymore. However, it's destruction served many ends; namely it sent the message to remind them the price of resistance. Corinth shared the same fate in that year, to make the message doubly clear. It also eliminated the last alternative cultural/civilizational rival in the Western Mediterranean. No other country besides Carthage and Rome had sophisticated governments, expansionist impulses (arguable in Carthage's case) and dense population base, the latter of which allowed the recruitment of large armies (though Carthage did rely heavily on mercenaries)
>>
>>2532837
>remind them
remind other provinces of the empire*
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.