[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Redpill me on Jewish nobility

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

Okay, so we've all heard of nobility, and its role in Western civilization from antiquity to as late as the 20th century ; however, there is one people about which my knowledge is weak, namely the Jewish people. So, /His/ did the Jews in Israel, prior to the Roman conquests, have their own nobility, and, if so, what was its role?
>>
>>2531268
>So, /His/ did the Jews in Israel, prior to the Roman conquests, have their own nobility

Yes.

> if so, what was its role?

Pretty much the same as in other places. They were often the wealthy landowners and rentiers. Hell, you even had them after the Roman conquest, although they declined in importance; for instance, the Mishnah, one of the books of the Talmud, was compiled by "Rabbi Judah ha-Nasi", with Nasi being one of the titles they had back then. (Modern Hebrew is president, biblical era Hebrew is often rendered as prince, but it's not prince in the usual European mold, he wasn't related to the monarchical dynasty; he was a tribal leader.)
>>
>>2531286

So, it sounds less of a nobility in the hereditary sense, and more like a status conferred through a title because of a person's own personal qualities? Would you say Jews, at the time, were more egalitarian?
>>
>>2531325

>o, it sounds less of a nobility in the hereditary sense, and more like a status conferred through a title because of a person's own personal qualities?

No, not at all, it was most definitely hereditary. It's more like, as was often the case in Europe and other places, it's the nobility who has the leisure time and access to education to go on and do stuff beyond farming and herding sheep.

> Would you say Jews, at the time, were more egalitarian?

Than whom? I'm not hugely up on the history of things like egalitarianism and social mores in the classical era near east. I know there was some degree of social mobility, mostly if you were bright and could become a prominent rabbi, but other than that, there doesn't seem to be much. And of course, things like the priesthood was completely hereditary.
>>
>>2531353

I meant egalitarian compared to the other major societies of the time, like the Romans, Persians or the Greeks. I know they had kings, but hereditary priesthood sounds bizarre. Did they have slaves, if so, how did they justify it?
>>
>>2531705
>slaves, if so, how did they justify it?
They did. They also didn't justify it from their religious texts, because there's nothing inherently pro or against slavery in the Old Testament. The only thing of note was the expectation to treat the slaves well (or at least marginally better than most people), on the basis that they were once slaves of Pharaoh too. Virtually every society used slavery as a means, and in reality the Jews were no different, especially once they were under Roman or Hellenic rule.
>>
>>2531705

>I meant egalitarian compared to the other major societies of the time, like the Romans, Persians or the Greeks.

Like I said, while I've iven passing study to ancient Judea, I haven't really done the same for a lot of their contemporaries. I don't really know enough to compare the two.

>I know they had kings, but hereditary priesthood sounds bizarre.

Remember, the Rabbi, which is not a hereditary position, is much more analogous to what a Catholic priest does than a Kohen is. The Jewish "priesthood" wasn't required to learn laws or theology, they were mostly there to perform the sacrifices and take care of the Temple.

> Did they have slaves, if so, how did they justify it?

Yes, slavery was a part of Judean society, both of other Jews and of outsiders. It was usually as a result of being unable to pay a debt of some sort. As for theoretical justifications, I'm not particularly aware of any. It just seems to be a "well, everyone does it" sort of thing.
>>
>>2531268
A jew cannot be noble, the words themselves represent two opposite quality

Except Jesus which can be said to have 'transcend Jewishness'
>>
>>2531776

So the priesthood was hereditary, but was it nobility as we understand it in Western civilization? I mean during the European middle ages and afterwards, some charges of the government were hereditary but could be held by someone who wasn't noble. Is this the same for the Priesthood? Also, since it's a position, what happens if you have multiple children, would one of them get the title and be noble, but not the rest?
>>
>>2531792

Go back to /pol/, I'm serious, I actually would like answers on Judean society.
>>
>>2532365
no
>>
'Jewish nobility' is a contradiction in terms.

The Jews are a born race of slaves.
>>
>>2531268
ughhh, I know exactly how to give you a full history lesson on this but i dont want to type it out.
fuck it ok summarize time.

>happy be Jew in Jerusalem, around the time of the Macedonian empire. finally having a bit of a calm life.
>stay happy for 300 years. Involve yourself with politics and education and spread your influence to places like the Iberian peninsula, the Balkan region and even parts of Asia.
>be invaded by Rome. have shit kicked in and have your most holy place destroyed. Stay ok though because they convert to Christianity. oh wait no, they are bad at Christianity. Hold out until the time of Augustine. Be ok because "Jews are ok" -Augustine.
>Be ok for 200 years but get invaded by Islam. Fear and flee to Spain, Germany and France. Some of your people stay in israel.
>be recognized by england and france for being good with money and come stay with them.
>Stay happy money lender until crusades. Fear for your life under centralized Catholic Church.
>Realize your not safe anywhere.
>Get sterotyped in art for having a huge nose and pointy hat instead of Romantic and noble.
>Have France Kick you out.
>have England Replace you with bonds.
>have spain kick you out.Settle in Eastern Europe and the Balkans.
>Get your shit kicked in by everyone.
>get your ass saved by Ottoman Empire.
>continue to hold out and trade diamonds and gold and offer services to anyone who's willing to not kill you.
>>
File: 1480561763394.jpg (853KB, 1300x1877px) Image search: [Google]
1480561763394.jpg
853KB, 1300x1877px
>>2531268
Redpill you on history? Back to /pol/
>>
>>2532529

I meant that I wanted to know more about how the jewish society was organized prior to the Roman period, not afterwards. Thanks though for your knowledge.
>>
>>2532591

Damn commies.
>>
>>2531268
They had one, there is even a term for noble in the bible, anywy, they were masacred by the romans.

Also, the JUDEAN(not Jewish)Nobility and the Clergy were Sadducees.
>>
>>2532529
Jews dindu nuffin.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.